When do I enrol my children in school?? Perth WA

Meljayg

Hey PIO's

We are coming out to Perth early next year once our 189 has gone through, we already know the area we are moving to and have found a school we would like our 9 year old to attend, our other is 3 so it'll be kindy for him I guess?

My question is, when did you all enrol your children in school? Do I need to contact them way ahead of time to secure a place? Or can I do it a couple of months before we go?

What did you all do?

Its Tapping Primary in Northern Perth we are after if anyone has any info or experiences.

Thanks guys,

Happy sunday :)

Some schools will allow you to enrol from overseas (our does), but proof of address and visa are required before the child starts. You will also need your immunisation records.

Your three year old will be eligible for kindy if they turn four by the 30th of June in the year they start. Meaning if they are three now, but will be four by June 30th next year, they will go into kindy at the start of next year.

The same process with the same cut off cut is followed for all subsequent pre-primary and years one to twelve entries.

Thanks Sammy, we have an address already as we will be moving in with my parents temporarily when we arrive, I'll drop them an email later on this year when we defo have the visa.

Thanks also Ali :)

Just a heads up that schools normally require a utility bill with your name on it as proof of address. However, if you are staying in the catchment area they may let you enrol, but then ask for proof of new address later. Good luck with your move.

I'm assuming your parents house is in the catchment area for the school, in which case it shouldn't be a problem. As far as I know state schools, unlike in the UK, have to provide a place if you live in the catchment area.

I'm assuming your parents house is in the catchment area for the school, in which case it shouldn't be a problem. As far as I know state schools, unlike in the UK, have to provide a place if you live in the catchment area.

Bugger, We're 1 road outside of the catchment area!! Thats ok though, the school who's catchment area we are in, is actually closer :)

Bugger, We're 1 road outside of the catchment area!! Thats ok though, the school who's catchment area we are in, is actually closer :)

You can apply for schools out of the catchment area and if they are not over-subscribed then there is a good chance you would get a place, although be aware you could end up with your children at different schools.

It sounds like you'd be happy with the catchment area school anyway. I would get in touch and tell them where you are moving to and when - i don't think you can enrol until you are actually living there but I'm sure they will appreciate you getting in touch.

We didn't find schools that helpful really - I was told because there are so many migrants they aren't too interested unless you actually live in the catchment area - we even got refused a visit to a school in an area we were thinking of moving to but it may be worth asking if some of the children could communicate with your daughter before you move. When we moved back to the UK I was in touch with my son's class teacher to-be and she got each of the children to write him and letter and send a photo, it made a huge difference to him and he was about your daughters age at the time.