Medicals and No Further Stay Questions

sydunipete

My de Facto partner is planning to apply for an Australian Partner Visa - either 309 or 820 (onshore of offshore). I am an Australian citizen. We are trying to choose between lodging the application onshore and lodging it offshore. We have two questions.

If she applies for a 600 visa what are the chances of getting a no further stay condition imposed? It would be her first time in Australia and she is Swedish (but I assume the issues would be similar for the British) Under this option she might apply for a 3 month 600 then apply onshore.

If she applies off shore (after securing a 12 month 600 visa) how does she get medicals done? I presume she would follow the onshore medical process once requested by the CO?

Is it correct to assume 600 visas allow multiple entries?

Many thanks in advance.

Are you in any particular rush to get to Australia? If not, then the offshore application is cheaper, quicker and you do not run the risk of being held up at immigration as you try to arrive on a tourist visa whilst strictly speaking not a genuine tourist. If you apply offshore then you can get medicals taken anywhere that does Australian visa medicals (they provide a list), nothing complicated about that, it is what many of us would have done.

As she is from Sweden (Scandanavia), have you checked which Australian Embassy will deal with her offshore application. If she has to go overseas from Sweden, perhaps to Germany, to apply it may complicate the issue further.

If she applies for a 3 month eVisitor visa, she will be most unlikely to have a No Further Stay condition 8503 - I've never heard of an 8503 on that visa. As long as she already meets the eligibility requirements to apply as your de facto partner, that would appear to be a workable option though it would not be a good idea to arrive with bags containing anything that indicates that she intends staying for longer than 3 months as a visitor. She should be aware that she may notl be admitted to Australia if immigration offivers are not convinced that she is a genuine visitor.

If she applies for a 12 month subclass 600 Visitor visa, her chances of getting a condition 8503 will increase substantially.

If she applies for an 820 visa onshore, she will be granted a Bridging visa A with unrestricted work rights that will allow her to stay in Australia while her application is processed and will also be eligible for Medicare.

If she applies for a 309 Partner visa offshore and wants to come to Australia while it is being processed, she should apply for a 600 Visitor visa (12 months if she wishes - an 8503 doesn't matter in this case) AFTER she lodges the 309 application and can have her medicals in whatever country she's in when they are required. A 309 is considerably less expensive than an 820 though she will have to leave Australia for a few days for the grant to take place overseas.

600 and eVisitor visas are multiple entry.

An offshore visa application lodged in Berlin MAY be processed a little faster than an onshore (10-14 months vs 13-ish months) but there isn't much difference.

As she is from Sweden (Scandanavia), have you checked which Australian Embassy will deal with her offshore application. If she has to go overseas from Sweden, perhaps to Germany, to apply it may complicate the issue further.

She applies online, no need to go to any embassy or High Commission.

She applies online, no need to go to any embassy or High Commission.

Does this apply for the offshore spouse visa as well? We were lead to believe differently, but that was a few years ago.

Also, is it possible to apply for this offshore spouse/partner visa and then come to live here on a temporary basis (for about 12 months) within a few months.

What visa would you get for entry? 600? .

Is the spouse visa dependant at any stage on residency within Australia, or can the person granted it travel back and for an unlimited period, as his work is mainly overseas and he wants to continue that at present.

His spouse and children are all Australian citizens.

Thanks for your answers to all these questions, it is a great help in making the right decisions.

May I sugges that you consult a registered migration agent for professional advice?

Thankyou Westly, I think we may do that.

I will get some more information from my daughter about their intentions long term and then do as you suggest.

Does this apply for the offshore spouse visa as well? We were lead to believe differently, but that was a few years ago.

Also, is it possible to apply for this offshore spouse/partner visa and then come to live here on a temporary basis (for about 12 months) within a few months.

What visa would you get for entry? 600? .

Is the spouse visa dependant at any stage on residency within Australia, or can the person granted it travel back and for an unlimited period, as his work is mainly overseas and he wants to continue that at present.

His spouse and children are all Australian citizens.

Thanks for your answers to all these questions, it is a great help in making the right decisions.

Spouse visas went to online processing a couple of years back. Even before that interviews at an embassy/High Commission for low risk applicants were rare.

You can apply for a tourist visa and visit OZ while the offshore spouse visa is processing - check the DIBP website for the appropriate one, either evisitor, ETA or a longer term tourist visa, and tell your CO that you are visiting the country.

Spouse Visas are the same as other PR visas, check the rules on RRVs and citizenship as the travel portion of a PR visa expires after 5 years.

Thanks everybody for the input. I'm leaning towards applying offshore - and that is made easier without the need for a visit to Berlin. (I was assuming there would also be an interview.) I assume the list of doctors will include some Swedish ones, but that's no biggie.

During the processing we do want to spend time together, she doesn't need to work, but she would like to be a genuine tourist and see some of Australia. So the question is do we apply for a 600 before or after lodging the offshore visa request. We're thinking 9 months might be a good duration as hopefully she will return to Sweden at the end and not have long to wait for a decision (but I know there are no guarantees). I can travel to Sweden for 3 to 6 months after those 9 months in Australia - so that gives us 12 - 15 months together. Hopefully that's enough!

Thanks again. Cheers.

Archived