Help! Centrelink website...confused!

Live4today

Hi, I've been into the centrelink offices yesterday to sort out Medicare and centrelink. They were able to do our Medicare stuff, nice and easy but said I had to go online for centrelink. We haven't set up our mobiles up yet so can't ring the helpline. I've set up the mygov account for which I have my user name but when I try and use the centrelink stuff to process our child benefit claim it asks for a CRN number or CAN number, it says I can find it on any letters or correspondence from centrelink which obviously I don't have. Does anyone know if it will be sent to me now iv set up our mygov account? Or is there an easier way of setting up the centrelink child benefit stuff? Computers are not my thing but would like to get it sorted while we are both off work.

Sorry for the boring question! Just thought someone who has recently done it could shed some light?

You have to know what it is you want to claim from Centrelink in order to claim anything. You don't just register with them and unless you want to claim something there is no need to do anything. The only thing new migrants are eligible to claim is family tax benefit and / or childcare benefit and rebate. To claim family tax benefit go here:

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/family-tax-benefit-part-a-part-b

Then select the claim tab and click claim.

You haven't mentioned it but you will also need a TFN (tax file number). You can apply for this online through the ATO website just here https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Ind/Apply-for-a-TFN-on-the-web/

You won't get a CAN, customer reference number till you actually claim and as you don't have a CAN, you can't claim online and need to claim in person. Once you receive a letter from them, you will then have the CAN................not that it does much good in a lot of cases. I've been trying to link mygov to centrelink for 3 yrs now and it simply won't let me. My son's the same as are quite a few people I know. I don't know if it's the centrelink or mygov site to blame but I know for sure that I'm following the right procedures. I just go in person at 8.30am as soon as they open..................the bludgers aren't out of bed at that time so there's no queue :-)

I recently opened a mygov account and linked my centrelink account to it. As mentioned you have to already have a CAN number to claim but once you have entered your my gov password you are not asked for your CAN number to access centrelink. Confused? why not? it is a government site after all ! :laugh:

:arghh: Ha now I'm even more confused! So I don't have a CAN or CRN number as I don't have any dealings with them prior to now and yet when I went into centrelink, the lady said they don't really deal with centrelink stuff as it's all done online or over the phone. But I guess if I go in with all our things (passport, visa paperwork , anything else?! ) and say it won't let us do it online, hopefully someone will be able to help!

I had to go in. Explain you have never had any dealings before and they should give you the number. Take all your ID with you and they should be able to give you higher clearance so you can use the app.

Then prepare for a world of frustration at how absolutly useless they are.

Archived