working back in the UK for short spell

RVN

Hello, been a while since I last posted..

I have Oz permanant residency and am now an oz citizen. My dilemma is, I may have to go back to the UK for a few weeks to care for a family member recovering from surgery, but as I am not working at the moment I will be short of funds to pay for my everyday expenses (food petrol etc) . Does any one know if I would be able to legally work during my time over in the UK. I should be able to get some part time locum work easily enough, but just not sure what the deal is on what I can and can't do. Not even sure, but can I claim any carers allowance? Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

I have Oz permanant residency and am now an oz citizen. My dilemma is, I may have to go back to the UK for a few weeks to care for a family member recovering from surgery, but as I am not working at the moment I will be short of funds to pay for my everyday expenses (food petrol etc) . Does any one know if I would be able to legally work during my time over in the UK. I should be able to get some part time locum work easily enough, but just not sure what the deal is on what I can and can't do. Not even sure, but can I claim any carers allowance? Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

I will be interested to see what others say. As far as I'm aware, you are a British citizen with the right to work and you've got a NI number, so you can just get a job straight away.

Unlikely you'd be able to get a carer's allowance as you're not a UK resident.

Yes, you can work - you are still as British as the day you left and in that aspect nothing has changed. You will be unlikely to claim any benefits though for the first few months. However, carers allowance is attached to the person you are caring for, so maybe different and i would contact Citizens Advice for guidance on it.

Archived