Tax Rebate in UK before heading off to Oz

Im not fantastically keyed up with tax rebates but if we plan on leaving the UK approx Sept time and I pay tax until that time would I be eligible to claim part of it back ?? When would we normally look at filing for a rebate?

Thanks, hope someone can clear this one up for me :)

I don't think that you can file for a rebate until April 2016 when the tax year ends. Even though you have left you may still have some UK investments attracting tax so you will not be able to declare your full 2015/16 income until then. Also you may even return to the UK before April 2016 as far as the taxman is concerned.

I stand to be corrected though.

Please excuse me if this is a really STUPID question.

If I had earned £16,000 and had already paid £1991 in tax (Im looking at Sept 2014 figures) then thats over the £10,600 allowance so do you know how much roughly we may expect back ??

Im curious, not relying on it but it would be nice to have a rough idea

I'm looking at the same thing... I believe there is a form you can complete to declare that you are leaving the UK permanently. And it is paid fairly quickly without waiting until next April.

I done this when I went backpacking for a year - so it was possible, but that was over 10 years ago.

I will also be doing this in September as I will be entitled to at least half the tax back which I have paid to that point.... I am still looking into the residency part which may allow me to reclaim all of it. If / when I find some concrete information I will try to remember to report back here.

Please excuse me if this is a really STUPID question.

If I had earned £16,000 and had already paid £1991 in tax (Im looking at Sept 2014 figures) then thats over the £10,600 allowance so do you know how much roughly we may expect back ??

Im curious, not relying on it but it would be nice to have a rough idea

If that is your only source of income in the tax year your liability will be £5400 @ 20% or £1280 (if my mental arithmatic is correct). You will get a rebate of £711.

I'm looking at the same thing... I believe there is a form you can complete to declare that you are leaving the UK permanently. And it is paid fairly quickly without waiting until next April.

I done this when I went backpacking for a year - so it was possible, but that was over 10 years ago.

I will also be doing this in September as I will be entitled to at least half the tax back which I have paid to that point.... I am still looking into the residency part which may allow me to reclaim all of it. If / when I find some concrete information I will try to remember to report back here.

I would be cautious about the residency part as the income would then become taxable in Oz surely (though their tax year is different so that may help).