Opportunities for Computer Engineer

Indianinoz

Hello,

My wife is a Computer Engineer. We are planning to migrate to Australia. What is the scope for her considering she just passed the Computer Engineering last year and since we got married in the interim she hasn't worked. So basically she is a fresher.

Also, is there any particular course she could do to improve her profile for Australia?

She needs to get at least 2 years work experience before she has any chance of getting a permanent visa if she will be the main visa applicant. If you will be the main visa applicant so that she gets a visa as your partner, she will still need work experience in order to land a job. Australia has a lot of unemployed computer engineers.

Yes I'm the main applicant and she will come as my partner. Can she still work as an assistant at a lower pay or do you think she will find it very hard to find even a lowly paid part time job?

There are plenty on unemployed IT graduates in Australia. I'd strongly advise her to get some experience before arriving or be prepared to look at jobs in other sectors but even those are hard to come by at the moment.

• 5 months later...

What about ISTQB certfication? Will it help in Australia even a little bit? http://www.istqb.org/

Are these recognized in Australia? People have told me that for experienced people, it doesn't add on a lot. But for freshers(like my wife), it gives them a head start, is this true? I've heard that a person with ISTQB will be given preference over a person without it provided both are freshers. Is this true?

What about ISTQB certfication? Will it help in Australia even a little bit? http://www.istqb.org/

Are these recognized in Australia? People have told me that for experienced people, it doesn't add on a lot. But for freshers(like my wife), it gives them a head start, is this true? I've heard that a person with ISTQB will be given preference over a person without it provided both are freshers. Is this true?

It's recognised here allright. I've done the course and have the certification via work. It's a big help if your wife wants to go into software testing for sure. I know a few people that did the course where I work and it helped them get better paid jobs with other companies. It's not an easy course to pass and it gives you a good insight into software testing, test preparation, writing and all the acronyms that go along with the process. Decent course and well regarded in Aus. I think it's the only course and qualification in testing that's internationally recognised.

IT Testing is still a reasonably lucrative gig here. A lot of them are on contracts but with good pay. ISTQB will certainly help. Some practical experience will go a long way. Individual hiring agencies can have their own tests.

I would also suggest front-end development as an alternative along with test automation which can also help with test analyst positions.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Just an update on our case:

1) We have been granted PR visa where my wife was a secondary applicant. We are landing in Sydney on the 4th of December.

2) My wife has passed the foundation level of the ISTQB exam. Unfortunately, the exam date for ISQTB Advanced level in India is 6th December so she can't appear for the same.

3) She gave ISTQB since one of my friends recommended it. The truth is she is also open to programming and not just testing. Considering this, which are the courses that you would recommend? How about OCJP? Would you recommend it? Any other course that you would recommend?

Hello everyone,

Just an update on our case:

1) We have been granted PR visa where my wife was a secondary applicant. We are landing in Sydney on the 4th of December.

2) My wife has passed the foundation level of the ISTQB exam. Unfortunately, the exam date for ISQTB Advanced level in India is 6th December so she can't appear for the same.

3) She gave ISTQB since one of my friends recommended it. The truth is she is also open to programming and not just testing. Considering this, which are the courses that you would recommend? How about OCJP? Would you recommend it? Any other course that you would recommend?

If she doesn't have any prior experience then programming jobs are harder to land but don't let that discourage her. Also, not much hiring happens from November to Feb so nothing to panic about.

OCJP may help, more so if it is mobile app oriented or Enterprise back-end stuff. Don't forget about test automation.

Archived