Insurance for external container cleaning

Peachy

Hi everyone,

I have had a quote for container shipping that suggests that we may want to pay £35 for insurance on top of the quote to cover external container cleaning - basically we have to pay customs for cleaning the container if there is a lot of bird poo on it!

To me this sounds a little suspect and I really don't think that I should be paying for the cleaning of the outside of the container.

Has anyone come across this?

I know it is only £35, but I don't want to pay out if I don't have to.

Many thanks

Here is an old thread about it: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/149560-external-container-cleaning.html

I have never heard of this before your post alerted me to look. I would check the fine print of the shipping agreement before paying - although if they are offering the insurance there is bound to be a clause making you liable for any such charge.

We paid the £35 insurance, it was a recommended option by the shippers, I had read on here somewhere that a person got charged stupid money to have their container cleaned by customs. don't read about it happening much, couldn't be doing with the hassle or expense if we were unlucky enough to have been charged by customs.

I would be very wary about this as it would be the Shipping Line responsible for the state of the container not the owner of the goods inside the container - 'words, for, money, old and rope' come to mind.

Also if this was an insurance a full Policy wording would need to be provided by the remover and not just another entry on your invoice !

I would be very wary about this as it would be the Shipping Line responsible for the state of the container not the owner of the goods inside the container - 'words, for, money, old and rope' come to mind.

This depends on the wording of the contract you sign. If there is anything about having to pay all charges raised by AQIS then you will have to pay for cleaning the container.

Sounds like money for nothing. Our container turned up and it was like new, no mention of cleaning and the shipping company agreed it would be loaded within the ship although could not guarantee. Me personally, if the shipping container had turn up dirty then I certanily would not have been paying to clean it.

Guess its the difference of a contractor quoting a low price and building it back up with extras vs a mid price package where we ended paying exactly as quoted including customs checks and disposal of a single Christmas decoration.

S

Archived