Carpenter trying to get to Australia

Pink bear natz

Can anyone advise?

we are looking at going to Perth as we have family there, my husband is a carpenter. He has booked for his skills interview 7th June. We were hoping to go out on a skilled visa which means he needs 60 points at the moment we have 55, therefore to make our 5 points he needs 7s in all four categories of the ielts. He's done the ielts twice and got the same results each time (6.0, 6.5, 7, 8.5) and tried the toefl yesterday. He feels he is never going to do well at the test and wondered can we submit a eoi with 55 points? Or what are our other options?

State nomination is only available for a carpenter in nsw we want to be in Perth. Nsw as a condition of their state nomination require approx £22k

A state sponsored 190 visa though has no legal requirement to live in the sponsoring state. Only a moral requirement.

If you havent got close to 22k available, then i would be thinking long and hard if you have the money to make the move! You need to assume it will take several months to get work. So, you need enough in the bank to pay rent on arrival - one month up front, bond and then living costs for several months - food, bills, rent, car, insurance and all the other bits and pieces.

If the TOEFL results still fall short, keep trying to get additional points for English. Either do IELTS again (after heaps of study and preparation), have another go at TOEFL or try the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic. I know nothing about TOEFL, a fair bit about IELTS and little about PTE but PTE seems to test your English skills, unlike IELTS which is more a test of how well you understand IELTS and how well you handle the exam itself. The following thread about IELTS may encourage you to keep trying - read through to the end.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/204946-ielts-band-8-too-hard-iam-tradesman-my-skills-my-hands.html

We have £10k saved so far though we have accommodation as we are staying with my brother in law who has plenty of room for us to stay and also has a car waiting for us for when we arrive. Looked a little further and thinking to get the extra points it maybe worth while my brother in law sponsoring us and go for a 489? Just asked the question to our agency waiting for a reply as this option has never been mentioned yet she knows we have relatives there!!

Archived