Moving to Melbourne

Lord D Vadher

Greetings all,

This is my first post here.

I will be moving to Melbourne on a Permanent Residency Visa in September 2015 and am going through the roller-coaster of emotions!

Moving with my family (wife and two young children) I am eager to find out more and secure accommodation and employment.

We have been looking at the Brighton area and feel it is a good fit for us, my daughters at 2 and 4 and we feel the schools and just right for them.

I am a secondary Lead Teacher of Science and aim to take a natural progression up to Head of Department.

Any advice on area, Schools, jobs, and finding short and long term rentals will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

D

Welcome to the forum. Join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this forum.

Brighton is a very nice area and so are the surrounding suburbs. Lots of schools and private schools around. It will depend whether you want to work in the private sector or the public sector for jobs. Have a look at the State Education Department and also look up the private schools web site.

I take it you have registration and the jobs are usually advertised on the education site.

Science is a easier to get a job in than other specialties. There are many teaching threads about how people go about finding work and dealing with the interview and application process.

A lot of jobs in fact most are contract these days in the public schools sytem. The teacher gets a one year contract and this may lead to permanent or they may stay on contract. A lot of jobs that are advertised in the public system are available but there is a contract teacher in place and even though there are new applicants the teacher may be kept on.

My son is a science maths teacher and he got permanent employment straight after graduating due to the fact that he was prepared to go to a remote school for three years. He really enjoyed it, however he was single. It means that he is permanent now though which is the aim of most teachers.

Archived