Brisbane to Sydney work commute?

frances62

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To clarify I fly down on a Wednesday and return on a Thursday and stay overnight

It's not fun especially depending where you have to get to. The Brisbane end is OK but my office is is the Hills district. I drive at the Sydney end as it is heaps cheaper than catching a cab but it is a 45 - 60 minute drive at the other end. I stay in an apartment so I can cook rather than eating hotel food as that will just kill you!

I have done it for 2 years and look for every excuse not to do it :-)

It sounds fine, its only 1 1/2 hours on the plane and only 1.10 in the air, but honestly it isnt OK. Remember I am 10 minutes from the Airport in Brisbane but I am still up at 3.30 to get a 5am flight, I also have Qantas club membership, so have somewhere to sit quietly. I would say this is essential for this much travel.

If you are moving to Australia for quality of life then I wouldnt recommend it.

I never thought I would say this but I would rather be in m car for that hour and a half. At least I could sing!

To clarify I fly down on a Wednesday and return on a Thursday and stay overnight

It's not fun especially depending where you have to get to. The Brisbane end is OK but my office is is the Hills district. I drive at the Sydney end as it is heaps cheaper than catching a cab but it is a 45 - 60 minute drive at the other end. I stay in an apartment so I can cook rather than eating hotel food as that will just kill you!

I have done it for 2 years and look for every excuse not to do it :-)

It sounds fine, its only 1 1/2 hours on the plane and only 1.10 in the air, but honestly it isnt OK. Remember I am 10 minutes from the Airport in Brisbane but I am still up at 3.30 to get a 5am flight, I also have Qantas club membership, so have somewhere to sit quietly. I would say this is essential for this much travel.

If you are moving to Australia for quality of life then I wouldnt recommend it.

I never thought I would say this but I would rather be in m car for that hour and a half. At least I could sing!

Thanks, informative post :-)

This will be my last post to this forum, I'm not interested in hearing opinions of others who think ideas are 'stupid' or in 'cloud cuckoo land' when we simply asked who was doing it and how it goes for them (we did not ask for opinions of the idea). As stated above, people are doing it so your opinion is irrelevant anyway.

Fyi Ive just spoken to my management and they've agreed partial payment for the commute. Maybe it's because I'm distinguished in my field and they don't want to lose me, maybe it's because everybody who works for this investment bank lives in cloud cuckoo land, either way it's a possibility for us.

Thanks to all those that offered constructive help.

And everyone has said it is not a good idea - exactly what you wanted... Advice. Now it seems toys have been chucked out of pram because what you have been told is that, like any other developed country, the concept of moving here to live in one city and work in another is a rather far fetched plan.

Resorting to telling everyone that you are **** hot is not a good look I'm afraid. Apologies, people told you what you didn't want to hear.....

Also, what's the fascination with Brisbane anyway? Mega humid bogan fest IMO. I could well understand Tassie or something as the home base. Apologies again, IMO.