getting into private school north Brisbane?

shiveringpom

Ok so am i wasting my time trying to get into private high school year 7 north Brisbane when i only put name down 1 year ago and selections now started.....???

lots of rumours....

Child in year 4 now, name down a year ago when we arrived but worried far too late and as no connections to schools/not catholic/at state school now is there any point or are they all over subscribed?????

Opted for boys grammar, hillbrook and nudgee so far but should i look at any others....looked at BBC but open day wasnt a hit with us or son.....

any tips or advice please? any schools to avoid?

back in uk school was sooooo easy but here high school choice seems huge but unless you put there name down at birth/ went to school yourself iam hearing its a waste of time even trying ..????

going to look at kelvin grove as hear good things wrt this.....

getting frustrated as sooo much choice but on other hand seems impossible to get in anywhere....????x

I dont think you stand a chance with Boys Grammar

We got our son into Nudgee - pput him down in yr3 for a yr 8 start and managed to get him in to year 5 but that was 4 years ago

Hillbrook again generally oversubscribed but call them and see. The admissions people at both Nudgee and Hillbrook are very helpful

I dont think you stand a chance with Boys Grammar

We got our son into Nudgee - pput him down in yr3 for a yr 8 start and managed to get him in to year 5 but that was 4 years ago

Hillbrook again generally oversubscribed but call them and see. The admissions people at both Nudgee and Hillbrook are very helpful

many thanks

yep heard hillbrook prob not a hope in hell and BGS same .....

The frustrating thing is they now have my enrollment list payment and all i want to know is how far off getting in are we - if they tell me iam at bottom of list so no hope then i would be much happier as could then move on and look at other schools but they keep you dangling on and give nothing away when i suspect they have a good idea of your chances.

I understand kids move/drop out of places etc etc but even just a glimmer of chances would be better than none!

Iam stressed as our local state school for us is not great people say and no idea how easy it is to access state schools out of catchment either..............

Do other parents make donations or make lots of appointments with the head teacher? iam slowly losing will to live as ozzie friends also now getting rejected from private schools .....

The chances of getting into BGS are very low and your chances at Churchie (Anglican Church Grammar School) probably won't be any better but consider giving BBC another chance. My boys went there and loved it and their sons will also be going there - it really is an excellent school.

The ones you've mentioned aren't the only good private schools though. Where will you be living? There may even be a great SHS in that area.

The chances of getting into BGS are very low and your chances at Churchie (Anglican Church Grammar School) probably won't be any better but consider giving BBC another chance. My boys went there and loved it and their sons will also be going there - it really is an excellent school.

The ones you've mentioned aren't the only good private schools though. Where will you be living? There may even be a great SHS in that area.

thanks

my husband and son went to open day and didnt gel with it- i wasnt there tho' - however it is the furthest one from us so travel was an issue altho they run a bus, i think i will forward all our reports that they have now asked for as iam keen to visit again at next open day ...

going to look at kelvin grove as altho out of catchment it says if you work at rbwh they can consider you ????, wavell and craigslea are also near, everton park is our catchment......

son this year then have to do it all again with daughter next year .....are girls schools just as tricky here ? x

Put your name down for lots and pay the payments to keep your name current - belt and braces. Another trick with private schools is to say you are prepared to start any time, not just at the major enrolment points. For some reason people are sometimes less prepared to move their kids part way through a year but I reckon if you want it, you want it and take any offer that comes.

Not knowing where you are living makes it hard to recommend schools, but you could look at The Springfield Anglican college or St Peters Lutheran College at Indooroopilly both very good schools. St Johns Anglican college at Forest Lake is another worth looking at.

For Girls only St Aidans at corinda is a good school. If your looking in Brisbane City St Josephs is a good school (known locally as "Terrace")

Not knowing where you are living makes it hard to recommend schools, but you could look at The Springfield Anglican college or St Peters Lutheran College at Indooroopilly both very good schools. St Johns Anglican college at Forest Lake is another worth looking at.

For Girls only St Aidans at corinda is a good school. If your looking in Brisbane City St Josephs is a good school (known locally as "Terrace")

And even Terrace is the shortened version of its full name "St Joseph's College Gregory Terrace"...so it can be "St Josephs" or "Gregory Terrace" or just "Terrace"...:wacko:

thanks

my husband and son went to open day and didnt gel with it- i wasnt there tho' - however it is the furthest one from us so travel was an issue altho they run a bus, i think i will forward all our reports that they have now asked for as iam keen to visit again at next open day ...

going to look at kelvin grove as altho out of catchment it says if you work at rbwh they can consider you ????, wavell and craigslea are also near, everton park is our catchment......

son this year then have to do it all again with daughter next year .....are girls schools just as tricky here ? x

As well as Kelvin Grove College a friend who teaches at Kedron State High School says great things. What did you hear about Kelvin Grove btw ?

Edited by fish.01

My daughters went to Clayfield College which should be quite close to you. They were very happy there and did very well - it's a sister school to BBC and Somerville House (though SH is on the other side of the river). Put your daughter's name down at CC, St Margaret's and BGGS (though it will be as difficult to get in to as BGS) also St Rita's and All Hallows if Catholic is OK.