Retirees living in Australia

Joro

Hi Everyone,

I am moving to Australia on a 143 CPV Visa in the near future to be near my Son and his family.

I would love to hear from anyone who as made the move for the same reason .

I am in Medicare and have a Bank. Account.

I wouldl like to hear about your experiences good or bad as it is a big step at our age.

All replies will be bet much appreciated.

Warm Regards

Joan

UK state pensioners who emigrate to Australia have their pensions 'frozen' at the rate when they leave the UK, i.s. you don't get the cost of living increases you would get if you remained in the UK, so if you are depending on that for a major part of your income, that is something to consider.

If you have a UK income, then you may have to submit a UK tax return to HMRC, as well as a return to the ATO in Australia, which is another thing to investigate.

Hopefully, you will have a good life in Australia, as most of us do, whatever your age. My parents made frequent trips to Australia, but never ended up making 'the big move.' I wish they had of course.

Hi Everyone,

I am moving to Australia on a 143 CPV Visa in the near future to be near my Son and his family.

I would love to hear from anyone who as made the move for the same reason .

I am in Medicare and have a Bank. Account.

I wouldl like to hear about your experiences good or bad as it is a big step at our age.

All replies will be bet much appreciated.

Warm Regards

Joan

Hi Joan

we are in the process of applying for our cpv143 9 months in and counting. Our daughter lives in Melbourne and we will be moving to the Mornington Peninsular. How about you? Where will you be living? We've been out twice for visits and explored housing areas, visited bowls clubs and generally tried to do things that we would normally do at home. Everything felt really comfortable except the 2 speeding fines we picked up! Are you ready to move yet. We are about to put our house on the market so we are probably about a year yet before we sell and move out yo Oz. Yes it is a very big thing to do in our later years, but we are trying to view it as a new adventure and can't wait to spend more time with our daughter and hopefully future grandkids.

Julie

Hi,Maryrose,

Thanks for your reply,we looked at the pension side of things,and have know problem

with that .With the sale of our house and pensions,we should have a comfortable life.

Warm regads

Joan

Hi,Julie,

Thankyou for your reply, we received our visa last year,which took 18. months in all.

we are going to Adelaide SA We have been out twice and enjoyed our stay.my Son took us to lots of places

including Clarence Vale where they make the Wine.

Last year when we were over there, we got our Medicare sorted out and opened a Bank Account.

The house is up for sale,so when it's sold we will be on our way hopefully.

I wish you luck with everything, and I am sure you will have a better life in Oz.

Warm Regards

Joan

UK state pensioners who emigrate to Australia have their pensions 'frozen' at the rate when they leave the UK,

This really annoys me everyone pays in the same I understand you don't put the money back in to the UK economy but I think they more than make up for the pittance which is the state pension in what you don't take out of the NHS.

Hi,Julie,

Thankyou for your reply, we received our visa last year,which took 18. months in all.

we are going to Adelaide SA We have been out twice and enjoyed our stay.my Son took us to lots of places

including Clarence Vale where they make the Wine.

Last year when we were over there, we got our Medicare sorted out and opened a Bank Account.

The house is up for sale,so when it's sold we will be on our way hopefully.

I wish you luck with everything, and I am sure you will have a better life in Oz.

Warm Regards

Joan

That's McLaren Vale, Joan. Just on our doorstep. Is the 143 CPV the expensive one or the one with the long waiting list? If the latter I wondered how long you had to wait- when you applied for it? I thought they were ending it.

Hi Julie,

The 143 CPV is the one you pay in all £50000 it's a lot ,but that gets you a perminent visa.

This also gave both of us Medicare,it also included £10000 which I gave my son to sponsor us.

your family in oz ,as to open a bank in the account in the Government Bank and the £10000 stays in the account for 10 yrs.

thats for if you fall on hard times. You get it back in 10 years with interest.

It takes 18 months

There is a 15 year waiting list on the other visa.which was to long for us.

They are making it difficult for retirees to get in,so the sooner you get in the better.

JoanX

Archived