Leaving Oz and tax returns

jonny

Not sure if it's the right forum but figure people who have gone back to the UK from staying in Oz will have come across this.

I now have PR (hurrah) and, of course, every single detail of everything is now going through my mind.

If I return in the UK in the future, will I have to lodge a tax return with the ATO forever until my *gulp* return marked 'final'? Or do you only lodge returns for time you are actually in Australia?

It may depend if you have any income in Aus after leaving. You do not have to make a return if overseas and only on come is bank interest as they will deduct a withholding tax at source which can be offset against UK taxes. Otherwise if you leave just let them know. You will need to do a return for the last tax year of residence.

if you have any income arising in Aus though including rental income you need to do a return. No biggie though we did this for a few years.

Why? What would be the benefit.

Our oz accountant was definitely of the opinion that the tax man in oz made a lot more effort to look at your affairs more closely if they thought that you were leaving for good and you were due a refund/pension entitlements/ or were sorting out final pension payments, so he was certainly of the view not to say you were leaving for good, something about the Oz mindset.

Actually, it makes sense. Looking up ATO I see the comments that 'Foreign resident for tax purposes' does not have to file a tax return.

I guess with all things tax here, I'll have a chat with an accountant.

Thanks all!

Whilst not living in Australia you still have to submit returns for income generated within Australia. For example, rent from property is a common one, but Australian stocks are tax free, go figure? You will be taxed as a non-resident (no tax free threshold) but its not all bad. There is a book called "The Aussie Expat: The Luckiest Person on Earth" which covers everything you needed to know.