Expecting mother with Australian partner

Sinbad91

Hi all,

just need a bit of advice. I'm a UK citizen and I went travelling in Australia two years ago and met my partner whilst I was there. We both moved back to the UK last year and we are now expecting our first child. We would like to go back to live in Australia to raise the child there but not too sure which avenue to take? I'd appreciate any help or suggestions,

thank you!

Hi all,

just need a bit of advice. I'm a UK citizen and I went travelling in Australia two years ago and met my partner whilst I was there. We both moved back to the UK last year and we are now expecting our first child. We would like to go back to live in Australia to raise the child there but not too sure which avenue to take? I'd appreciate any help or suggestions,

thank you!

If you are married or in a de facto relationship, your best strategy might be (probably would be) to apply for a partner visa onshore, depending on how pregnant you are. You might consider a consultation with a registered migration agent for advice about visa strategy.

Hi all,

thank you!

how far advanced is the pregnancy? Are you hoping to have the child in Australia?

If you apply for an offshore Partner visa, there is no way you'll have it before the birth. If you're able to come to Australia within the next few months, came as soon as you can and apply for an onshore visa. Baby will be born as an Australian citizen and British citizen by descent (from you). If it's born in the UK, you will have to apply for Australian citizenship by descent - unlike the UK, Australian citizenship isn't automatic for overseas born children.

When deciding what to do, you should consider the healthcare situation for the pregnancy and birth. Obviously in the UK, you'll have the NHS which I think will cover everything. In Australia, you'll have Medicare which will cover all of your expenses in a public hospital, but you'll be up for the co-payment for any services (scans etc) performed outside the public system. @blossom (one of our mods) had her baby recently on Medicare and speaks very highly of her experience - check out some of her posts on the subject over in the Health forum.

I wondered that but the title does say he's an Australian so I'm hoping thats accurate :)

Oh yeah, bit of a reading fail from me there!

OP, I would start collecting the info you need for a partner visa now and apply when you're eligible (you probably already are). Fees have changed since I did it and I believe the onshore visa is now considerably more expensive than the offshore visa (Just under $7k springs to mind). Citizenship by descent is easy to apply for and quick (1 month according to the website) so that's no impediment. I guess it comes down to where you want to have the baby. We had our kid through the public system (medicare) in Brisbane and it was an excellent experience.

Bear in mind that the first 6 months of the kid's life will probably be stressful for you and your partner, so consider carefully whether you want to add a migration into that mix.

Archived