Hello Sydney, I'm new to the site, after some advice please

Mandy R

Hi everybody, I'm new to this site and was hoping you would be able to point me in the right direction.

I have never done anything like this and really don't know where to start.

My husband is working in Sydney at the moment and has been since the middle of November 2014 on a subclass visa 400 which ran out in the middle of February. The company he works for has lodged his 457 visa on 12th February. We have been told to expect an answer in 4 to 6 weeks. At present he is on a bridging visa until we find out the outcome of the 457 visa.

Our main priority is our 15 year old daughter who is currently in year 10. I was wondering if anybody could recommend any fantastic state schools and areas for which we could live in. (Rouse hill and Kellyville have been mentioned but I wondered if anybody could shed any light on these areas and if the schools were suitable)

My husbands company is based in North Ryde, he obviously does not mind commuting.

Thank you for your advice.

Rouse Hill and Kellyville are in the Hills District of Sydney. Both suburbs are similar and consist of acres of large, newish houses. It's truly McMansion territory round that way.

The Hills is a perfectly safe, civilised place to live - if a little unexciting. They're both miles from the city and beaches, but do have decent shopping and all the facilities you need.

Cherrybrook High School is one of the local state High Schools in that area which has a very good reputation. I assume you're aware that you'll be paying for state schooling for your daughter as you'll be on a 457 visa?

Can't really help any more. I've been here a long time but have only ever lived in the Eastern suburbs and - briefly - in the Inner West.

Where I live (Coogee) is really nice but, sadly, not ideal for commuting to North Ryde.

You could look at other North Shore suburbs which are a bit closer to the city. Try Lane Cove or the many suburbs up the North Shore rail line. There are no bad areas or suburbs to the north of the harbour or Parramatta River so you can safely choose anywhere over there. Public High schools on the North Shore are all OK, too.

Edited by NickyNook

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

We moved from the UK in December on a 457. My daughter started in Year 11 at Willoughby Girls School (she is 17 and had done her GCSEs in the UK the summer before). She has settled really well and loves it. The fees are $6000 a year. We are living in Chatswood which is handy for school and has great transport links, shopping and restaurants. I am based in the CBD but could work anywhere within an hour from there and my partner is currently working in Balgowlah near Manly. Happy to offer advice having done the school search myself. I basically found the best state school with a place and we searched for accommodation nearby.

Hello

We moved from the UK in December on a 457. My daughter started in Year 11 at Willoughby Girls School (she is 17 and had done her GCSEs in the UK the summer before). She has settled really well and loves it. The fees are $6000 a year. We are living in Chatswood which is handy for school and has great transport links, shopping and restaurants. I am based in the CBD but could work anywhere within an hour from there and my partner is currently working in Balgowlah near Manly. Happy to offer advice having done the school search myself. I basically found the best state school with a place and we searched for accommodation nearby.

Is it a reasonable commute from Chatswood to North Ryde? I Googled and it says 'between 15 and 21 minutes' depending on which route.