457 Visa, Medicare & Private Health cover

mmck33

Looking for some (more!) advice as there doesn't seem to be a black & white answer (or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places!).

We are on a 457 visa, we pay private health insurance with Medibank & have basic cover at the moment.

My partner seem is under the impression that we need this basic (hospital) cover as part of the conditions of the 457.

I have been researching this & I believe (though may be wrong), that we are entitled to Medicare cover as we are from the UK???

If so, would mean we could use the money we pay for basic to upgrade for other cover, which we need to organise!

If anyone could shed some light, I'd really appreciate it! :)

When we came over we just needed the cover until we had registered with Medicare so did a 21 day emigration policy.

We found it adequate but there is a word of warning. A friend of ours on a 457 had problems accessing treatment as there are some exclusions. It was something to do with outpatient operations not being covered or something really bizarre even though it was for something 100% necessary.

It was extremely fortunate for them as it turned out they had private cover though work.

So just be aware that there are some exclusions. I certainly wasn't aware and it wasn't an issue for us fortunately.

As mentioned above, if you're from a country with a reciprocal health agreement, then private cover is only required until you register with medicare

- https://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

I am from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia. Do I also need insurance?

If you are from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia, you may be eligible to access Medicare. For further information you should refer to the Medicare Australia website.

See: Medicare Australia – Visitors to Australia

Being enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements is sufficient to meet the health insurance requirement at visa grant and to comply with visa condition 8501.

You can only enrol with Medicare if you are in Australia. If you have enrolled with Medicare you should provide evidence that you have been issued with a Medicare card as part of your application.

If you are overseas, you must arrange adequate insurance for your initial period in Australia and provide evidence of this insurance as part of your application. You may be eligible to then enrol with Medicare once you are in Australia. Being enrolled with Medicare is sufficient to comply with visa condition 8501.

You should also be aware that once you have enrolled with Medicare, you need to contact the Australian Taxation Office to see if you will be subject to the Medicare Levy Surcharge. This might affect the type of health insurance policy you need to maintain while in Australia.

See: PrivateHealth.gov.au

When we came over we just needed the cover until we had registered with Medicare so did a 21 day emigration policy.

We found it adequate but there is a word of warning. A friend of ours on a 457 had problems accessing treatment as there are some exclusions. It was something to do with outpatient operations not being covered or something really bizarre even though it was for something 100% necessary.

It was extremely fortunate for them as it turned out they had private cover though work.

So just be aware that there are some exclusions. I certainly wasn't aware and it wasn't an issue for us fortunately.

Some of these things are not covered for Aussies either. Medicare can be very confusing.

Yea I was told you only need the private health cover whilst lodging your visa , then once in australia you can cancel it , that leads me to a QUESTION my 457 is now lodged , 3weeks ago my agent emailed me yesterday saying GREAT NEWS your case officer has requested you get health cover, which I have done and sent it back to the agent , I'm getting nervous does this generally mean that the visa is about to be approved?? Thanks

Archived