Dialing from England to Perth in Australia - help

Sulac

Hi there

Can you help? I am living in Perth in WA.

I am trying to explain to my Father in England how to dial Australia cheaply as I know there are some cheap pre-dialing numbers/prefix numbers to keep call costs down. Trouble is some of these pre-dialing prefixes listed on the internet don't seem to work anymore. He has been dialing me from a BT phone line and it is outrageously expensive.

As my father is in his eighties he is slightly confused. Can anyone offer any advice on dialing Australia from England with these pre-fix numbers. Has anyone used a prefix dialing code so that it tried and tested and works?

All your help is appreciated.

Sulac

:yes:

Why don't YOU set up a paid Skype account (or similar) and then YOU can call him!!!

Save the poor old guy all that hassle - works well for me: I've had a paid Skype account for years and call everywhere in the world for pennies.

Thanks Terry - we do skype over the computer, great invention skype (the inventor Niklas Zennstrom has obviously done well as my friend's husband is his skipper on his private yacht which is 72 feet long!!) but at 86, My Father says he now prefers to pick up the phone. I have managed to get cheap calls to England for $2.30 per half hour which I think is pretty good, but he'd like to be able to call me as well.

Vodafone currently do a mobile SIM for $50 / month (pre-pay) that gives unlimited calls to landline or mobiles in ten countries, including the UK.

Thanks for that - sounds a good deal, but what is the cheapest way to ring from England to Australia. Any idea you folk living in the UK?

Hi Sulac, Google Telediscount in the Uk - landline to landline calls from the UK to Aus are 1p per minute. We've used Telediscount for years with no problem, calling Aus, Spain and Ireland. Your Dad will need to dial the number (same number every time - maybe he can have that on speed dial), listen to a short message which will advise him that the call costs 1p per min, then enter your number (with codes) and press the # key, then he just needs to wait for you to pick up :-) Good luck, it's obviously important for him to be able to get hold of you without the huge bills.

All the best,

Amanda

I've used Talkxtra since 2007 (got the card via the Post office originally), you call an 0800 number (so he could use any land line phone - I use to like scaring work!!) then an account number and pin, then dial the full number. They also have a geographical number so I use that on my moby using my monthly minutes. Top up at the Post Office or direct from a bank account. Or if he changed to Talktalk - they do/or did 'free' international calls for up to an hour per call to an Oz land line. Possibly too much choice these days!!

My parents, also in their 80s got a pre-paid calling card from Asda that was very simple to use - once it was registered they could either phone to top it up or do it online and it was just a 4 digit prefix in front of the number (so long as you were calling from the landline you registered) - 3p a minute to Australia.

My parents are pretty switched on and had no problem doing it all for themselves but maybe a friend or family member could help and then all your dad would need is the 4-digit prefix.

You can setup Skype Call forwarding, it enables you to setup a UK number which forwards over Skype to an AU mobile. My parents call a local 0161 number in Manchester, pay local rates which redirects to my AU mobile, the Skype charge comes from my Skype account.. Costs me around $16 per month with a 3 month charge of$24 for the UK number

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12258/what-is-call-forwarding-and-how-does-it-work-on-skype

Archived