UK Married Couple State Pension

Tonester

When I moved to Australia in 2011 my State Pension was frozen at that current rate(Despite having made contributions for 50 years) I married an Australian lady in August of that year who is in receipt of a pension paid by the Australian Government.Does anyone know if I am entitled to claim the Married Couple Pension from the UK without a load of aggro? Any information would be much appreciated.Thankyou.

Hi Tonester

I don't think there is anything like Married Couple Pension. I believe everyone is assessed as individuals.

Certainly my wife and I have individual UK O.A.Pensions and they are both different depending on the years contributed.

You could always email UK Gov Services.

Good Luck

Mike

You could try here tvp.internationalqueries@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

When I moved to Australia in 2011 my State Pension was frozen at that current rate(Despite having made contributions for 50 years) I married an Australian lady in August of that year who is in receipt of a pension paid by the Australian Government.Does anyone know if I am entitled to claim the Married Couple Pension from the UK without a load of aggro? Any information would be much appreciated.Thankyou.

It never hurts to ask.

Found this on 'Which' website. However no way of knowing if you might still qualify based on this or even what it amounts to; the government website is not too helpful for your circumstances. They are likely to state that your state pension remains frozen at the time you moved abroad. As previously stated it doesn't hurt to ask and I wonder if it would make any difference if you registered your marriage in the UK (just thinking out loud).

The basic state pension is worth £113.10 a week for a single person in 2014/15 (or £5,881 a year).If you’re married, and both you and your partner have built up state pension, you’ll get double this amount – so £226.20 a week. But if your partner has not built up their own state pension, they'll still be able to claim a state pension based on your record.

Archived