IB or VIC public schools

Winter2014

Hi

We are looking to move to Melbourne. Slightly concerned with prospect of moving my eldest at current year 9 in Uk to a public school that doesn't have IB. There appear to be limited public schools and private ones are expensive and not an option for us.

Can anyone help with dilemma - I don't want to move him whilst attainment here is good, and find that four years later on our return to UK that it has been to his detriment.

Any help would be gratefully received.

xx

You should note that all of the schools on Quoll's list are private - many in the $25,000 plus per annum category. As far as I know there are no state schools currently offering the IB in Victoria.

You also need to factor in that if you are away more than a couple of years your child will be up for international student university fees in the UK and you will be paying those upfront.

As Quoll says, it is tricky age to move unless you see your indefinite future here.

I lived in Victoria, and as far as I am aware Werribee Secondary College offers the IB program and is a public school.

http://www.werribeesc.vic.edu.au/index.php?p=international+baccalaureate+diploma

Quote from a article I was reading:

"Werribee Secondary College has achieved an International Schools Accreditation and become the first government school in Victoria to offer the International Baccalaureate at Diploma Level."

I used to attend Mowbray College in Victoria (a private school)- that's closed down now but offered the IB program. It certain'y wasn't $25,000 plus per annum.

But yes, be very careful. If you come back to the UK in 4 years time you will be up for international student fees and wont be eligible for a student loan.

Will be similar in Australia. As PR you will be eligible to pay domestic fees at uni but you wont be eligible for any HELP loans for university so have to pay upfront.