189 Visa with same-sex partner

condenast

Dear All,

I would like to know if anyone in this forum has ever tried to obtain a 189 Visa, or any other kind of visa, and included a same-sex partner in the application.

I intend to immigrate with my partner, and I am still trying to increase my score for the 189 above the threshold, but I fear that if even if I succeed and get the score, there could be some trouble to obtain his visa as a spouse.

Thank you very much.

You would include your partner and provide evidence that you've been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months. Even if you and your partner are legally married in your country, since Australia doesn't recognise same sex marriage you'd have to show them as a de facto partner instead.

yes - we did it no problem. The condition is that the relationship is genuine and continuing and you will be expected to prove that you have lived together for no less than 12 months prior to your application for your visa.

Australia is suprisingly forward thinking in this aspect. Youve been able to migrate as a same sex defacto couple for years !

Archived