New to PomsinOz - moving to QLD in August 2015

charjack5676

Hi,

I am looking to move in September to QLD but want to avoid 'city' type suburbs. We will be focussing on Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Wide Bay areas (Hervey Bay) and potentially Townsville and Cairns.

I hear that it is truly wonderful for families in QLD with so many things to do!

Sorry I cant be much more help but good luck!

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi,

I am looking to move in September to QLD but want to avoid 'city' type suburbs. We will be focussing on Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Wide Bay areas (Hervey Bay) and potentially Townsville and Cairns.

I hear that it is truly wonderful for families in QLD with so many things to do!

Sorry I cant be much more help but good luck!

I didn't realise you were considering Cairns, I may be a little bias but it is the best place in Australia

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi, my family and I are moving to QLD in August 2015. VISA all in place, just trying to decide where to head. Any suggestions around the outside of Brisbane? we are both PE teachers and have 2 children (aged 6 and 8)

Any advice on anything welcome

Thanks xx

Hi hun

Most of the others are fast asleep now as its nearly 2am, but I am sure they will offer you some advice when they wake up.

Pom Queen I love the look and lifestyle of Cairns more than any other place, it's work prospects that scare me! If there was a job I would be there in a flash...

Charjack, I have lived here for the past 3 years and I do love Notts. I do love in the south though in a little village. I hate busy places. I prefer a nice chilled out lifestyle and that still stands in Australia. We are looking at family friendly suburbs, close to a beach and with a university campus close by...

Keep in touch with your plans. I am still waiting for my skills assessment, I like living life to the edge. My visa should hopefully be approved around July time.

Hi, my family and I are moving to QLD in August 2015. VISA all in place, just trying to decide where to head. Any suggestions around the outside of Brisbane? we are both PE teachers and have 2 children (aged 6 and 8)

Thanks xx

Hi and welcome to the forum. We are moving to the Redlands area south of Brisbane in July this year. Think you need to establish where jobs may be available first and then look for locations that work with those jobs. Good luck with the move.

We are starting to put stuff in place now. Been busy decluttering the past few weeks and a few odd jobs around the house; speaking this week with estate agents with a view to putting house on the market in the next few weeks. Exciting times ahead.

Do you know which schools you will be working at ? This could play a big part in where to settle for commuting reasons.

There are lots of good areas out of the city that offer great value for money, the best way to find these suburbs is to drive, drive and drive some more once you arrive.

Have you booked some temporary accommodation for your first few weeks?

Cal x

If you are looking at Brisbane, I agree that it's best to work out where you will work. I live in the Redlands, 23km away from my school, and it takes me 40 minutes most mornings to get there (at 7am!) and I'm not even crossing the river or city!! I know plenty of people that love living in the Redlands but equally, I know lots that love the Northern suburbs!! You'll need to get here and see what is good for you :-)

char - We are in Rudd! I did get lost in E Brid the other day though when I took my son to a play date at a nearby go-karting track. We tried to fill the hour on a Sunday by finding somewhere local for a coffee. We ended up in Bingham.

They showed Ruddington on Escape to the Country this week.

• 3 weeks later...
@Gbye grey sky

I see you did a recce in AUgust 2014, what did you do and how long did you go out for?

We are trying to work out if it is worth spending the money on doing so..

We had 10 days there. We had organised visits to 3 private schools in The Redlands area (our daughter is 11). All were good but, importantly, our daughter chose her clear favourite. Before the recce she was quite wobbly about the move and the trip helped a lot. We looked at a lot of houses partly to get familiar with different suburbs and where exactly they were (google maps is great but is even better once you have some familiarity with the feel of a place). Online we would see houses that looked similar to each other priced $100,000 or more different or $100 a week different in rent. When there it was easier to understand why (in most cases anyway).

It was worthwhile for us but it is expensive to do and no holiday. We went out of our way to not make it feel like a holiday too. We did a main grocery shop, cooked our own meals mainly, did the washing, kept the short term let house clean and tidy every day, watched some TV or read in the evenings. We took a couple of trips out of the immidiate area but wanted a feel of real life rather than holiday albeit for a brief snapshot.

Unusually, work is not a prime factor for us as we are older parents and are intending to be semi-retired. We can manage (just about) without any work until our pensions kick in though some earnings will be useful to pay for extras and make the savings last better. Also cannot really visualise myself not working at all yet lol.

Thanks xx

Hey charjack5676!

We recently moved to Brisbane after spending 15 months in Perth, WA (due to work relocation!)

Choosing a school/suburb is the most overwhelming experience...ever!!!!!

We have done it twice now & I can give you a few tips that we have learned (the hard way!!!).

Firstly, be true to yourself & what you consider to be important....we spent weeks trawling around suburbs in Perth, WA looking at houses & suburbs that I would never dream of living in the UK (think Truman show then multiply by 10!).

Secondly, houses out in the sticks, can be beautiful, but very isolating!

Thirdly, when choosing a school, I would start at secondary level & work backwards! Schools here have a very strict catchment policy & to avoid too much disruption, I would choose a primary school that feeds into desired secondary school. (I would strongly recommend you read a book called "Free Schools" by David Gillespie...a very insightful/petrifying look at the history of Australian Education system & honest advice about choosing a school...the author is based in Brisbane, can't rate it highly enough!).

When we moved over here, I home schooled for a couple of months so I could get a good feel for various suburbs & schools.

We eventually decided on Chelmer/Graceville area & love it...close to city but with a village feel. Cafe/restaurant culture. Various good schools. Kids/families everywhere! :)

Hope this helps...good luck :) !

Archived