Townsville

jojo9000

The main strand has a lot of pubs there, and if you catch the ferry to mag Island is lovely there to go swimming on the beaches and go to the look outs are awesome. The Harbour is not bad to have a walk round and have a swim "all good got shark net up".

The main strand is about 10 to 15min drive to airport if ya jump in a taxi is to too dear. Its a 8 hour drive to Richmond plus you might see the odd camel or 12 hour drive to Mount isa and to the closes KFC once left Townsville.

I've visited Townsville on work trips loads of times. It's one of my favourite places. Big enough to have nice restaurants, good pubs, decent airport, University campus but not too big as to cause traffic jams, feel like everywhere is crowded and you have to fight when you want to go for a shopping trip.

Some of the nicest restaurants I've been to have been in Townsville, the brewery and the pubs and restaurants along the Strand are great. The Strand has lots of mini water parks for the kids, it's lovely to go out for a walk in the evening and if your into exercise there are heaps of people running, biking, swimming, paddling craft from the surf club. There is a beautiful 50m outdoor pool on the Strand, close to the town end, where they have good swim squads. Kids seem to take their homework and sit out at the pool with mates and do it.

Magnetic Island is cheap to get to and really feels like a top class holiday destination.

I could easily live in Townsville. Bit steamy and sticky at this time of year but I've been in Perth's winter months and it's been perfect. No humidity and high 20's during the day. My wife has been jealous a few times when I've had trips to Townsville in June/July.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @jojo9000 welcome to the forum. My eldest lives in Townsville and we visit ourselves quite a lot.

Are you considering a move there. If so please make sure you have a job to go to. It's hard to believe but the job situation is suppose to be worse than Cairns, maybe that's because Cairns is more of a tourist destination. Us locals call it Brownsville as it's not as tropical as up here. Any questions please ask away.

Hi @The Pom Queen,

Thank you for the information! Yeah I'm going to Townsville because I think it maybe the perfect location! I'm not sure if I would try and get a job first or go over and just see what I think about the place! It would be good to meet people who live there tho!

Why do you think Townsville would be your perfect location jojo? What are you looking for?

Townsville is ok its got lots of shops weather not too bad not as nice as brisbane or cairns in my opinion but you have magnetic island just offshore. It really depends what youre looking for. Im looking at moving there as i have possible job offer but wouldn't be my first town of choice

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi @The Pom Queen,

Thank you for the information! Yeah I'm going to Townsville because I think it maybe the perfect location! I'm not sure if I would try and get a job first or go over and just see what I think about the place! It would be good to meet people who live there tho!

Please reconsider unless you have a job to go to or have an occupation where you could easily get work. I have to agree with Kayleigh that Cairns is a lot nicer but then I am bound to be a little bit bias.

When we first moved to Australia we lived in Melbourne and stayed there for a few years and my brother got into James Cook University and thought we would prefer Townsville to Melbourne (the size/population is similar to our home town of Dundee). It has a much more relaxed feel about it and yes it is a smaller place so there aren't the job vacancies you would see in a large city so it may take a bit longer to find work. It has always been like this as I remember. If the unemployment rises nationally it will always be higher in smaller towns the same as in the UK. It does get very hot and humid in the summer and it's not everyone's cup of tea, but the local people who live there seem to love the hot weather. It is possible to live there without air-conditioning - my parents did as my dad didn't like it - so I have stayed there with none and I would say it was just a bit too hot and humid in the height of the summer months not to have it.

Hi @Paul1Perth

Seems to be a lot to do there so I don't think I would be bored and loads of places around Townsville where I would like to visit. I hope I can find the perfect job there.

To be honest it's a long drive from Townsville to anywhere else. There is plenty to do there but it's not a big City by any means. If you are fancying that side of the country Brisbane is nice and a short drive to either the sunshine coast or gold coast.

When we first moved to Australia we lived in Melbourne and stayed there for a few years and my brother got into James Cook University and thought we would prefer Townsville to Melbourne (the size/population is similar to our home town of Dundee). It has a much more relaxed feel about it and yes it is a smaller place so there aren't the job vacancies you would see in a large city so it may take a bit longer to find work. It has always been like this as I remember. If the unemployment rises nationally it will always be higher in smaller towns the same as in the UK. It does get very hot and humid in the summer and it's not everyone's cup of tea, but the local people who live there seem to love the hot weather. It is possible to live there without air-conditioning - my parents did as my dad didn't like it - so I have stayed there with none and I would say it was just a bit too hot and humid in the height of the summer months not to have it.

I would have thought to live comfortably in Townsville you would need aircon. If you can afford it why put up with feeling sweaty all the time?

Guest The Pom Queen
I would have thought to live comfortably in Townsville you would need aircon. If you can afford it why put up with feeling sweaty all the time?

Paul you do acclimatise, when we first moved up here from Melbourne we had the aircon on 24/7 then after a year or so we never bothered, although this last month we have never had it off it's been terrible. I would honestly say you will probably only need your aircon a few months of the year once you have acclimatised.

I find anything under 25 degrees to cold now and really struggle.

Guest The Pom Queen
To be honest it's a long drive from Townsville to anywhere else. There is plenty to do there but it's not a big City by any means. If you are fancying that side of the country Brisbane is nice and a short drive to either the sunshine coast or gold coast.

It depends what you are looking for. If you like rural areas then you can get to some lovely places from Townsville. You have Charters Towers around 2 hours drive in land, Whitsundays 3 hours away, Cairns 4 hours.

Personally I would still opt for Cairns over Townsville especially for exploring the East coast, you can get a flight to Melbourne for $99 etc. My son worked at Cairns airport and transferred to Townsville and says there just aren't many flights at all from there.

To the OP what do you do for a living?

Oh I love townsville my dad lives there we just went on holiday there in the summer I thought that there was so much to do with our young children too! we are looking at going there as soon as we get visas all sorted oh but now i have seen you all say about jobs I'm a bit worried now my husband is a diesel mechanic we sort have one lined up tho but panicking I that falls through :/ xx

Guest Guest100417
Paul you do acclimatise, when we first moved up here from Melbourne we had the aircon on 24/7 then after a year or so we never bothered, although this last month we have never had it off it's been terrible. I would honestly say you will probably only need your aircon a few months of the year once you have acclimatised.

I find anything under 25 degrees to cold now and really struggle.

Haha it's saying something saying that you can grow to find 25c too cold. I'd have that anyway over an icy car and the scraper this time of year!!

I live here in Townsville and have done so for 17 years, I originally come from Liverpool. I have travelled all over Australia with my job and I have to say I love Townsville.

It depends on what lifestyle your after, yeh the big city's are good but I like being able to get anywhere within 20 mins from home, never see any big traffic jams here. It is a very relaxed lifestyle in Townsville everything here is focused on being outdoors, I wake up just about everyday to find the sun shining, the average amount of daily sunshine is 8.5 hours with a total of 121 days of clear skies each year.

The strand is really good for family's and with the weather here you can go the beach all year round, there are plenty of beaches within a 30 min drive. Yes it get's hot here especially now with the humidity but if you can learn to live and work in it for a few months then you get 9 months of beautiful weather. I never run aircon all year round only when it's very hot, just like in England you don't have your central heating on all year round.

There are plenty of water parks and pools for you to use and then within a 40 min drive you have areas with lots of fresh water swimming holes and rivers. Townsville's location gives you access to the outback 1hr drive, the world renowned Whitsundays is a 3 hr drive and Magnetic Island and The Great Barrier reef are on your door step. The rain forest is 1 hr away and Cairns is a 4 1/2 hr drive.

There are plenty of cafes, restaurants and pubs around the city centre and some great dining here due to the availability of fresh produce, especially sea food and exotic fruit.

I have never been unemployed here and actually don't know anyone that is, but I do know there are people unemployed here just like anywhere but I suppose it is what you are qualified in and the availability of work in that area. Moving to a big city's doesn't mean there are any more jobs to go around, there is a bigger population so more people will also be looking for work. I was always in and out of work in Liverpool but I have never had a problem finding work.

If I have to say anything I don't like, the heat this time of year and when there is no rain for months on end the dust is everywhere. Also the distance to the nearest big city's, you have to fly and I really miss going to big sporting events and concerts. I wish I had LFC here I would defiantly be in paradise.

Australia has given me a better lifestyle and job opportunities for me and my family and I hope we are joined by my daughter from Liverpool so she and her family may have a better future.

Townsville is a lovely town, I've been here 5 years and although its horribly hot at the moment most of the time its wonderful. Its a small enough town to not have crazy drive times, but big enough to have all the amenities including 4 cinemas, 3 major shopping centres, the beach, parks, access to Magnetic island and easy drives to Cairns/whitsundays.

• 2 months later...

Archived