registering as a health professional (https://www.ahpra.gov.au/)

youngwombat

hi folks

My soon-to-be employer has asked that i register with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency before i start my job. Has anyone else had to do this? My professional background isn't on the list of ones they state, and i have not had any luck with getting them to email me back. I'd welcome any thoughts/experiences from you all.

I have also written to the psychological assocation to see if i need to register with them before the AHPRA, but they didn't answer that question and it costs $1000 so i am loathed to go through the process if i don't have to.

thanks!

I'm an academic psychologist with clinical training in family therapy. What i have learnt is that there is no clinical accrediting body for family therapy, so am now assuming i need to register as a psychologist (but worried that becasue that is PhD/BA, rather than a clinical psychologist) that they won't recognise my qualifications. Hope that makes sense :)

Guest Chewitts

Ah.....sorry crossed posted!

Hmmmm.....which list is your job on and what does it say in regard to training and experience.

"psychologist" is a protected term in australia so you have to be eligible to be registered before you can call yourself one....

Guest Chewitts

Are you a registered psychologist in the uk or a family therapist?....

not it sure what you mean by "academic" psychologist?

Good luck with that! If you want to use the word "psychologist" in your practice you will definitely need to be registered and it won't be easy! If you're a chartered psych in UK it might be a smidgen easier. Fill out all the info and see what happens. You may well only get intern registration which will require a significant period of supervised practice to begin with - there's now an exam as part of the registration process.

No, you don't need to be a member of APS but if you're applying for a skilled visa on the grounds of your profession as a psych then the APS will need to affirm your qualifications for visa purposes.

Thanks everyone. I am a chartered psychologist in the UK but that isn't a practicing qualification. My clinical qualification is not psychology, it is family therapy (which again i am registered in the UK with).

Are any of you psychologists and had to go through the process of qualification approval/verification?

Thanks again,

Thanks everyone. I am a chartered psychologist in the UK but that isn't a practicing qualification. My clinical qualification is not psychology, it is family therapy (which again i am registered in the UK with).

Are any of you psychologists and had to go through the process of qualification approval/verification?

Thanks again,

As long as you can meet the requirements they will register you - have you checked the AHPRA site to see? If you've qualifications enough to get you chartered psych status in UK then they're likely to be enough. Thank goodness I no longer have to deal with AHPRA! They've always been a bit thingy about o/s qualifications but it's got even stricter more recently. Did the APS verify your quals for visa purposes?

My visa is a 457, so is applied for via my employer rather than me, so APS haven't verified anything yet. I am a bit nervous that the psychological society won't verify me (just because i know transfering quals between countries is always hard) ... the new job isn't totally predicated on me being registered as a clinician as that is only a small proportion of the role (or at least that is what i will be telling myself during sleepless nights!!).

AHPRA site looks much more focused on clinical qualifications adn since my clinical quals aren't psychology (and there is no Australian equivallent in family therapy) i may be a bit scunnered. oh well... i guess i apply, cross fingers, deal with sleepless nights and wait and see

eek.

My visa is a 457, so is applied for via my employer rather than me, so APS haven't verified anything yet. I am a bit nervous that the psychological society won't verify me (just because i know transfering quals between countries is always hard) ... the new job isn't totally predicated on me being registered as a clinician as that is only a small proportion of the role (or at least that is what i will be telling myself during sleepless nights!!).

AHPRA site looks much more focused on clinical qualifications adn since my clinical quals aren't psychology (and there is no Australian equivallent in family therapy) i may be a bit scunnered. oh well... i guess i apply, cross fingers, deal with sleepless nights and wait and see

eek.

Academics get registered with AHPRA and they don't have a clinical background necessarily - put your papers in and see what happens. It all depends on the organization hiring you, I guess - if they are expecting you to offer services which may lead to Medicare rebates then you will need registration. If they expect you to take a supervisory role for psychologist practice owners then you will need AHPRA registration. If Psychologist is in your job title you will need it. Family Therapists aren't greatly thought of in Aus! You're either a psych, a social worker or some other nebulous counsellor. Psychs and social workers are registered but anyone can put up their shingle and call themselves a counsellor even if they've only done the Bob Jones on line Weekend course!

That's good to know that AHPRA register academics too. Shame my clinical quals are such lowly offerings. LOL... but better than the Bob Jones weekender haha.

They have to because academics often engage in clinical supervision and you can only be accredited with supervised hours if the supervisor is registered.

Archived