Moving to Dubbo

LisaJ

I have just got my 489 visa for Orana and am looking to locate myself in Dubbo. I am an occupational therapist and my husband is in construction. Can anyone give me any advice on:

1. suitable areas to live in Dubbo

2. What's employment like in the area?

I would be great flu for any advice as we have never been to this area in our travels to Australia we have been to Adelaide, Sydney, Newcastle, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Robina, Burley Head, Brisbane, Southport, Caloundra and Noosa.

I went to dubbo once and all I can remember is it is very isolated. The only house I saw for miles was the one I was staying at with friends, had a fab time shearing the sheep, horse riding, they went shooting kangaroos but I couldn't watch. I just hope you have done your homework on the area, it is nothing like any of the places you have mentioned from my experience. One bonus is, Stephen peacock from home and away comes from dubbo ha

I did as much as I could but the visa dictated where we had to go to a large degree. It wasn't my first or even second choice but I'm sure I'll make it work however I won't be shooting kangaroos! I have read mixed reviews on the place on other sites, thanks for the reply Aymie :hug:

Guest Dave53

I've been to Dubbo a few times , travelling through and had business there . It is quite isolated , at least 1.5 hrs to a town of any size and about 3 hrs to Bathurst or Orange . There is a mainline railway station with perhaps a daily service to Sydney , which would take about 6 hrs I guess and an airport which has flights to Sydney also .. You may need both , they are lifelines .

Geographically it's very flat out there , it can be as hot as hell in a Summer , and has low rainfall . There is a major hospital and all services like banks , car dealerships etc .which are vital in a remote area . I have no idea regarding availability of jobs , however , like the rest of Australia it's probably non too good ..

I wish you luck ..

Dave C

we have never been to this area in our travels to Australia we have been to Adelaide, Sydney, Newcastle, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Robina, Burley Head, Brisbane, Southport, Caloundra and Noosa.

Dubbo is nothing like any of those places! It's flat, dusty and extremely hot in summer. You will be in real country Australia, employment is not easy to come by and it can be a cultural desert.

I'm not sure what the Orana region covers, but I suggest checking whether Orange and Mudgee are in it - if so, they would be MUCH pleasanter options.

I suggest looking up the Australian Yellow Pages and writing to all the potential employers (there won't be many, I'm guessing) to ask them what the chances are. Few Australians want to work in Dubbo - it's widely perceived as being too isolated with too harsh a climate - so if they do have vacancies they will be eager to hear from you. For your husband, his best chance may be in running his own business - which is not difficult to set up in Australia.

You need to check whether you're employable - this thread is relevant:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/218488-occupational-therapist-coming-uk.html

:hug:Hi Marisa,

thanks for the information, I never thought of my husband setting up a business so that's given me food for thought. So Dubbo is the place to go in Orana and I need to be looking for a house with air con by the sound of it. Is it a similar heat to the Sunshine Coast?

:hug:Hi Marisa,

thanks for the information, I never thought of my husband setting up a business so that's given me food for thought. So Dubbo is the place to go in Orana and I need to be looking for a house with air con by the sound of it. Is it a similar heat to the Sunshine Coast?

Sorry, I didn't say Dubbo was the place to go in Orana, just that if you have to live in Dubbo, there's no option to commute to anywhere else.

I've been trying to check what Orana covers - they are administrative divisions and most Australians have little idea what they mean! If Orana includes Orange and Mudgee, I'd strongly suggest shifting your focus there. I looked at moving to the country at one time and I would never have touched Dubbo with a barge pole, frankly. It is too far from anywhere - zero options for weekends away, very little culturally, horrible climate. Whereas Orange and Mudgee are attractive wine-growing country towns with a more temperate climate (though Orange gets crispy cold in winter), cafes and restaurants, and more work available.

Unfortunately Orange and Mudgee are in the central west region not Orana. I will just have to see what it brings for 2 years before I can change my visa to a permanent residency visa which would give me more freedom.

Enjoy your retirement in the UK. :hug:

What line of work are you and your husband in?

I used to go to dubbo a fair bit about 15 years ago. I had quite a few friends there, some are stilll there. Yes it's hot, yes it's a little isolated, but not as isolated as some places. I used to go up there for weekends from Sydney, up on a Friday night, back on a Sunday afternoon. I don't mind the Aussie bush and if someone said I could go back to Aus tomorrow, but the only catch was you had to live in Dubbo for 2 years it wouldn't stop me.

Not considering, doing! I'm too far down the road to turn back! You think they wouldn't go there then?!?

No they probably wouldn't! It's hard to describe the isolation to a Brit, as even an "isolated" village in the UK isn't that far from anywhere else. The heat, by the way, is very unlike the Sunshine Coast. It's a dry heat more like Adelaide but with no sea breezes, so much hotter.

If you're only going to have to stick it out for two years, you'll be fine. Australian country folk are friendly and welcoming (they see so few new arrivals!) and you can enjoy exploring that life with the knowledge you're not stuck there forever.

Unfortunately Orange and Mudgee are in the central west region not Orana. I will just have to see what it brings for 2 years before I can change my visa to a permanent residency visa which would give me more freedom.

I just looked at the Orana website and it says, "The region encompasses 13 Local Government areas, with major regional towns including Dubbo, Mudgee and Cobar."

I looked at the map of Orana and Mudgee is on it. Lovely town, wine growing area, lots to do. There is mining in the area too which may offer lucrative opportunities for your husband.

http://www.rdaorana.org.au/Orana.htm

:hug:I am an Occupational Therapist and my husband is in construction, he is currently employed as a projects director for a large firm in London but he is a bricklayer by trade and is prepared to take a step back. I work for social services in the community supporting people with physical and mental health issues.

:hug:I am an Occupational Therapist and my husband is in construction, he is currently employed as a projects director for a large firm in London but he is a bricklayer by trade and is prepared to take a step back. I work for social services in the community supporting people with physical and mental health issues.

I think there may well be work for you along the lines of what you already do but most likely not for your husband, not in dubbo or the surrounding areas anyway. How long since your husband has been on the tools? Would he look at a bit of a career change and like Marissa has suggested look at the mining industry?

:hug:Yes he would do anything, he's looked into mining previously and is up on health & safety in the UK. He hasn't been on the tools professionally for over 27 years but as he say he can still lay a brick & is very handy with a lot of aspects of building as he likes to still get his hands dirty.

He was offered work in Sydney 2 years ago but the company lost the contract to lend lease so the job never came off, he's not adverse to travelling either as long as he can do that within our visa restrictions as he does this at present. He lives away Monday to Friday in the UK.

:hug:Yes he would do anything, he's looked into mining previously and is up on health & safety in the UK. He hasn't been on the tools professionally for over 27 years but as he say he can still lay a brick & is very handy with a lot of aspects of building as he likes to still get his hands dirty. He was offered work in Sydney 2 years ago but the company lost the contract to lend lease so the job never came off, he's not adverse to travelling either as long as he can do that within our visa restrictions as he does this at present. He lives away Monday to Friday in the UK.
Actually if you can get to Mudgee, you're likely to enjoy that more than Sydney! The housing is much more affordable and although it's a country town, it is quite lively. In fact, if Australia had an "Escape to the Country" program, Mudgee would be one of the places featured - it's very popular with "tree changers". Also if you're used to your husband being away a lot, it's going to be a pleasure to live in a smaller town where he can work close to home.

I'm a bit surprised by some of the comments on this thread and wonder how much experience (if any) some posters have actually had of Dubbo. For what it's worth Lisa I really like Dubbo. I've never lived there but like Wakeboard I know people who do and they are very happy there.

Both the federal and state governments are investing in Dubbo and it is growing with new people moving into the area. It is a regional hub and has a great vibe. The people are very friendly and welcoming and there is a real feeling of a town 'on the move' about the place. I don't think you will have any trouble finding work but your husband may have to go back to getting his hands dirty.

It does get hot in summer but it's a dry heat so doesn't feel as bad as areas with high humidity although I expect you will want air conditioning. Winter temps are cold but I doubt you will think it is very cold coming from the UK.

Unlike many migrants who gravitate to the capital cities you will get to see and experience something different and for what it's worth I think your experience will be far richer. There is a community spirit in Dubbo and the region around it that is hard to put into words.

It isn't going to be like anything you have experienced but I would be interested to see if you want to move after your two year obligation period. I won't be surprised if you decide to stay in the area.

When I posted the thread Freckleface I was not expecting much if any feedback, and it's great to hear all the comments however the positive ones make me feel better. I feel Dubbo is a place that gets more negative comments which I have found on other forums but it will not put me off going (although I will be looking at mudgee too as it sounds delightful).

We have been to a few places on holiday in Australia and they all had good & bad parts, we are realistic people who are a little older and have travelled so we are approaching this as an adventure. Work obviously is an issue that we will address and hopefully have at least 1 job prior to coming. I believe the government are investing in this region, fingers crossed work will be available.

You are right coming from the UK the winter won't be cold but I am sure our first summer will be an experience, can't wait. I also agree it will be an adventure/experience living in a regional area. (Not sure this will be good for hubbies work options though). We have a lovely community where we live now so it'll be nice to have that in Oz.

I will keep you update when we get there and how it goes.

Thanks for the post Freckleface :hug:

When I posted the thread Freckleface I was not expecting much if any feedback, and it's great to hear all the comments however the positive ones make me feel better. I feel Dubbo is a place that gets more negative comments which I have found on other forums but it will not put me off going (although I will be looking at mudgee too as it sounds delightful).

Freckleface makes some good points but I'd say, if you're finding more negative comments than positive then I wouldn't dismiss the negative just because of a few nice comments. The thing is that it looks as though you do have a choice so there's no need to talk yourself into it! I would definitely pick Mudgee over Dubbo. I've spent time in both and just find the "vibe" in Mudgee is much better. Also, consider that you're in easy driving distance of Sydney, Orange, Bathurst, the Blue Mountains, the wineries, so you will be spoiled for things to do. Dubbo works very hard to sound equally interesting because they're trying to attract people to the region - but do a comparison and you'll see Mudgee has more variety.

http://www.visitmudgeeregion.com.au/

http://www.dubbo.com.au/index.html

However Freckleface is right, there is something special about Aussie country people so if you do end up in Dubbo that will be the thing that makes it work. Anyway it's only for two years and you'll have a unique experience because few other migrants go for remote country postings.

Archived