Phones/ gps

quicksilver27

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone could help my wife and I who are coming to Australia/ brisbane/ sunshine coast in March! Very excited.

Will our Samsung galaxy phones work if we buy new sim cards? Also can you buy sat nav / gps at the airport?

Any information greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone could help my wife and I who are coming to Australia/ brisbane/ sunshine coast in March! Very excited.

Will our Samsung galaxy phones work if we buy new sim cards? Also can you buy sat nav / gps at the airport?

Any information greatly appreciated. Thank you.

yes they will work as long as they are not carrier locked.

I used google maps on my android phone for a 1000km road trip from Perth down the south coast without problems. Just bought a car mount and charger along with me when I visited. Just need to ensure that you have 3G data enabled.

Cost of mobile data can be high in Aus, you might want to consider sat nav with offline maps.

HERE for Android has just been made free and you can download offline maps

http://www.here.com

I don't use this particular one (I use IGo) so there may be a few choices out there.

Having said that, SatNavs seem to have dropped in price a lot, but I doubt airport prices would be very good.

Quick look at Harvey Norman, $70 not even in the sale (no lifetime maps though)

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/phones-accessories-gps/gps/gps-navigators/navman-move30-gps-navigator.html

The phones should work fine. I would go for a separate satnav for the car. They are pretty cheap and it will prevent you from having a quick squizzy at your phone while you're driving and being a danger. I know you can get a mount for the phone but I still see loads of people on their mobile, or looking at it when driving. The cops here are having a massive blitz on using mobiles and driving. Big fines and they use unmarked motorbikes to catch people.

Satnav is a godsend when you don't know your way around, especially in cities. When I go away on work trips I always get one from the hire company, saved me getting lost and stressed a few times.

Cost of mobile data can be high in Aus, you might want to consider sat nav with offline maps.

HERE for Android has just been made free and you can download offline maps

http://www.here.com

Google Maps caches maps or you can download areas while you are on wifi. I mapped my route while on wifi then my total download while on the road for 1000km of touring was around 50mb, that included live traffic updates which are free with Google maps.

Google Maps caches maps or you can download areas while you are on wifi. I mapped my route while on wifi then my total download while on the road for 1000km of touring was around 50mb, that included live traffic updates which are free with Google maps.

If you get one of the sat Nav map apps on your phone you don't access data at all. I turned my data off when I used to visit UK but always had the turn by turn instructions on the phone (in a cradle, not used as "phone" wile driving!) mine has lifetime map updates.

If you get one of the sat Nav map apps on your phone you don't access data at all. I turned my data off when I used to visit UK but always had the turn by turn instructions on the phone (in a cradle, not used as "phone" wile driving!) mine has lifetime map updates.

You don't need data switched on once your have set your route with Google maps and it will track you on the map, just not give turn instructions. Other big advantage of having data switched on is live traffic info and re-routing though based on my road trip, outside of urban areas didn't get much traffic anyway.

There is an Optus shop selling Sim cards inside the arrivals area just to your right at BNE international, if like me you just need to get connected ASAP, as someone else said it may not be the best deal but I usually find time to short to shop around when arriving in a new country.

Archived