Hello and Good bye

Tartan Diver

I’ve been lurking here for a number of weeks now and thought I might as well say Hello.

I suppose a little background info is always helpful in these posts, soooo.....I'm male married to an Australian for the past 6 years with 2 bonnie wee bairns of 2 yrs (girl) and 6 months (boy) and we submitted our application for spouse visa back in March 2014 and after a long wait and expense I got a phone call just before Christmas from the embassy saying my application has been successful, and me and my kids have been granted PR.

It’s all been a bit surreal as now it’s all happening very quickly for us with the house going on the market and in 2 days have received offers already, clearing the loft and skiping the junk.

We leave on the 1st of April to set up home in Melbourne, which is where my wife's from and staying with relatives for a few weeks before getting on with life again.

I am so excited and can’t wait to start our new Aussie life.

So, Hello Australia and Good Bye UK

B

Hi, and welcome to PIO.

Congratulations on getting your visa and well done on getting offers for your house so soon. You have a busy time ahead of you but the time will pass quickly and you're headed for a great city - I love Melbourne.

Perhaps I misunderstood but you seem to have said that you included your children on your Partner visa application. With an Australian mother, they're eligible to apply for Australian citizenship by descent which would have been much less expensive than including them on your visa application (AUD$210 in total for 2 children).

Hi and welcome to PIO! I'm sure you will find extra information on here on all aspects of emigrating to Australia!Have you got employment lined up?I bet your wife can't wait to be back home!Best wishes for a bright and happy future.

Hi and thank you for the welcome Melza, no work lined up as yet will be sending out my cv to a few recruitment agencies in the coming weeks though, but to be honest i'm in no hurry to gain employment on arrival. I was thinking of having a few weeks off and traveling up the coast with the kids first.

Hi, and welcome to PIO.

Congratulations on getting your visa and well done on getting offers for your house so soon. You have a busy time ahead of you but the time will pass quickly and you're headed for a great city - I love Melbourne.

Perhaps I misunderstood but you seem to have said that you included your children on your Partner visa application. With an Australian mother, they're eligible to apply for Australian citizenship by descent which would have been much less expensive than including them on your visa application (AUD$210 in total for 2 children).

Hi ozmaniac and thank you, it was a long process to get the visa and the documents and paper work was something else. Luckily I did'nt have to pay for child number 2 as he was born mid application but the first had a uk passport very soon after birth as she had her first oz trip at three months, but they will be registered as aussie citizens on arrival. I would have done a few things different if I had to do it all over again though.

Hi ozmaniac and thank you, it was a long process to get the visa and the documents and paper work was something else. Luckily I did'nt have to pay for child number 2 as he was born mid application but the first had a uk passport very soon after birth as she had her first oz trip at three months, but they will be registered as aussie citizens on arrival. I would have done a few things different if I had to do it all over again though.

Yes I'm a bit confused by this too... We're in the same boat. I was planning on getting citizenship by descent for my 2 girls ( 3yrs & 8weeks) and subsequent Aussie passports. As far as I'm aware this means they don't need to go on the spouse visa application. The 3 year old has a uk passport and has visited Aus twice but surely that doesn't affect things??

Bound4Tassie - I had both my kids obtain citizenship by descent then Aussie passports so that we didn't pay for them to obtain a visa (just my British Husband). Haven't dug out our old application (approved 2014) to give you a section reference, but you include their AUS passport numbers in the spousal visa app.

Best of luck for your move to Melbourne, Tartan Diver. Having recently moved from Surrey to Melbourne ourselves, we're discovering that it's a fabulous city to live in.

Yes I'm a bit confused by this too... We're in the same boat. I was planning on getting citizenship by descent for my 2 girls ( 3yrs & 8weeks) and subsequent Aussie passports. As far as I'm aware this means they don't need to go on the spouse visa application. The 3 year old has a uk passport and has visited Aus twice but surely that doesn't affect things??

Hi bound4tassie

As Ksarah has mentioned once you register your kids as aussies citizens by descent (before submiting your application) you dont pay for them on the application, but have to be added as dependents, buts its only you who will be granted the visa as your kids are already citizens and will not need permission to enter.

We just did'nt get round to it before I applied.

Good luck

Bound4Tassie - I had both my kids obtain citizenship by descent then Aussie passports so that we didn't pay for them to obtain a visa (just my British Husband). Haven't dug out our old application (approved 2014) to give you a section reference, but you include their AUS passport numbers in the spousal visa app.

Best of luck for your move to Melbourne, Tartan Diver. Having recently moved from Surrey to Melbourne ourselves, we're discovering that it's a fabulous city to live in.

Sooooo looking forward to the move, 12 weeks and counting. Where in Melbourne did you settle? we're heading for Mount Martha as OH has family in the surrounding areas.

So as dependants do they also need medicals ( even if they have aus passports) ?

I seem to recall dependants needing medicals even if they weren't emigrating with you! But our dependants are Australians so they couldn't refuse entry on medical grounds .... Could they?! Not that the girls have medical issues (touch wood).

Tartan Diver - we're currently renting in Ivanhoe but will be moving up to Greensborough once we get our new purchase renovated. Are you planning to stay down on the peninsula when you settle?

Bound4Tassie - the wording on the SP application regarding medicals is rather misleading, isn't it? If your children have Australian citizenship they do not need to have medicals.

Archived