Three Weeks Notice - 457 Visa

Kareng638

Hi All, thank you for allowing me to join your forum. I am looking for some advice and appreciate there are probably umpteen threads that will help to answer some of my questions but I am very short on time. I have been lucky enough to be offered a job with a 457 visa attached for a role in my sector in Sydney. I am panicking a little as it has all happened so quick and they want me out there by the 21st January. opening a new property beginning of February. I am a General Manager for a Student Accommodation provider and am covered under Accommodation and Hospitality Managers code.

A couple of things I wanted to get peace of mind on if possible.

Salary is $95k + super + up to 10% bonus.

Accommodation provided for up to 6 months.

Health care included.

Fiance following in 6 months.

is this going to be enough money for two of us to live on until such times as he finds a job? We are also transporting our dog over which is not being paid for as part of the reloc package, I have already started this process but it will take 6 months to get him out there. (My reloc package in effect, this covers my flight and excess baggage only). Once he arrives we will have to be in rented accommodation, I am looking at ideally being no more than 30 - 45 mins from Ultimo and looking at a 3 bed house (got 17 and 19 year old who will be visiting regularly) but not sure what sort of areas to move to. I am 39 and my partner is 44.

So excited but I am a planner, so this has all thrown me into a loop and my fiance is going to have to do a lot of organising from over here. We are not shipping stuff as to be honest, we needed new furniture anyway and I wont need any until I move into rented. Can someone give me peace of mind that what feels like an opportunity of a lifetime, is indeed that?? and of course if there is anything I have just missed altogether.

Thanks, nervous but excited.

Karen

Not sure about Sydney rental costs. Salary is a good one to start, but do not take into consideration any bonus payments, because that is pie in the sky stuff. If you get it, great, but do not factor it into your living costs.

With accommodation included for 6 months, it seems that you are onto a winner. Gives you time to work out where you can rent without being rushed into it.

Make sure that you are fully aware of the pitfalls of the 457 visa, and have a back up plan in place.....just incase.

Hi Verystormy, Yes aware that it is temporary, albeit for potentially 4 years, not quite sure the relevance of your point as my query was with regards to rental and what I would realistically be able to afford? Any advice is gratefully received, your post just confused me a little

Hi Verystormy, Yes aware that it is temporary, albeit for potentially 4 years, not quite sure the relevance of your point as my query was with regards to rental and what I would realistically be able to afford? Any advice is gratefully received, your post just confused me a little

Many people don't realise the pit falls of the 457. They ship over all their possessions, their pets, sell their house, move kids at critical times in their school life etc.

Then they find themselves made redundant or loosing their job for other reasons and not being able to find a new sponsor. We see it on here at least once a week.

It's always good to let people know it's only temporary as it doesn't occur to everyone. They assume staying for good will be easy, and for many it isn't. And many people will read this post rather than posting one of their own, so it can be helpful to many. :-)

Hi Blossom, Ah I see. No I am very aware that it is temporary, I am fortunate that i have worked in the past via third part links of the company who are sponsoring me when they had a base in England. I had to go through an extremely rigorous interview process that has taken 4 months in total to ensure that I was indeed the right candidate for the job. I am in a slightly unusual position of not coming over completely cold. We are renting our home out in the UK (when partner follow). Our kids are, Stepson, 17 (lives with his mum)and doing his A Levels and is just excited about holidays and my daughter, 19, who has just spent 13 months in Oz on a WHV and is spending 6 months in the UK with her dad and then activating her second year visa. The only shipping will be my dog, whom I refuse to leave behind and if need be will pay for him to get back to the UK when and/if we either a)choose or b) have to leave. My main thing at present was just getting an understanding of exactly what i could afford and where for now. Would be great to make it permanent but obviously time will only tell if we will like it and if it likes us!! Just grateful of getting a second opportunity in life (turned down the first one as ironically didn't want to take my daughter away from contact with her dad!) So grabbing this experience with both hands. Thanks again.

Archived