Moved to perth 18 months ago .........ask away

jgt

Hi all . Some may remember me. Just thought I'd offer my thoughts on the move to Aus as we spent time in the forums getting tips (they Are there) anyone who wants tips on work, rentals ,way of life etc ask away,

happy to help if we can. I'm in construction( not for the faint hearted) the wife working in retail, ( Charles dickens parallel) ask away. Ps not interested I the uk versus aus debate, been there done that.

Hi all sorry for late reply my emails come to another account without telling me. Anyway as is usual most of the questions are related to work ,ie construction. Perth is very busy at the moment and a real shortage of brickies. I was bricklaying

Last year for several months and it is hard work bricks go down at 6am and in 40 degrees plus. I now work in rennovations. There is lots of work in construction.it is very different from the Uk each trade does there trade only , no multi trading . They simply don't believe it is possible. It takes a while to convey to them that some guys can and are good at several trades. Over time I have built up a reputation for being versatile in many aspects of construction. I am now extremely busy. This has taken time and resolve. Some of the ways they construct here are very dated , ie plastering ,roof construction but as far as they are concerned they are the BEST in the world. After a while you get used to it and just go with the flow. It's true many Brits that come here don't stay in the trade they came with. One thing that stands out is that there are many opportunities for your kids as they leave school and they can achieve much more than if they stayed in the Uk . Anything seems to be possible unlike the still going Class system which is so apparent in the Uk.

hope insight is useful.

My wife works in retail and can't believe the shocking way customers are dealt with. Arguing with customers through the day about faulty, or shoddy goods which are trying to be returned is commonplace, in fact most of the customers returning stuff are Brits etc who are used to returning goods with no issues.

They still send faxes , this says everything. At least it's sunny

Hi JGT. Iv been in Perth for about 3 months now (from England) and am looking for a job in retail. Iv applied and applied and have a lot of experience in retail but for some reason am finding it difficult to get anywhere. If you have any contacts or advice it would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Hi all sorry for late reply my emails come to another account without telling me. Anyway as is usual most of the questions are related to work ,ie construction. Perth is very busy at the moment and a real shortage of brickies. I was bricklaying

Last year for several months and it is hard work bricks go down at 6am and in 40 degrees plus. I now work in rennovations. There is lots of work in construction.it is very different from the Uk each trade does there trade only , no multi trading . They simply don't believe it is possible. It takes a while to convey to them that some guys can and are good at several trades. Over time I have built up a reputation for being versatile in many aspects of construction. I am now extremely busy. This has taken time and resolve. Some of the ways they construct here are very dated , ie plastering ,roof construction but as far as they are concerned they are the BEST in the world. After a while you get used to it and just go with the flow. It's true many Brits that come here don't stay in the trade they came with. One thing that stands out is that there are many opportunities for your kids as they leave school and they can achieve much more than if they stayed in the Uk . Anything seems to be possible unlike the still going Class system which is so apparent in the Uk.

hope insight is useful.

My wife works in retail and can't believe the shocking way customers are dealt with. Arguing with customers through the day about faulty, or shoddy goods which are trying to be returned is commonplace, in fact most of the customers returning stuff are Brits etc who are used to returning goods with no issues.

They still send faxes , this says everything. At least it's sunny

the unemployment / underemployment rate in Oz for young people about 1 in 3. Higher than the UK.

Graduate te unemployment has been high for some time.

Hi jtg. My wife & I are in Brisbane at the moment, we are staying at our daughters. We have been here for 7 months now & we have 5 months left on our tourist visa. We were hoping to get a parent visa so we could stay & make Australia our home, but we failed on the balance of family. So the only way we can stay is for me to get sponsor. I'm a bricklayer of 30 years exp, there is brickie jobs in Brisbane but you need a tradie ticket which costs $2500. Which I cannot apply for on a tourist visa & nobody seems willing to sponsor me with the costs involved.

But what I have seen on the Internet is that they are willing to sponsor brickies in Perth. We both really want to stop in Australia so we would like to know what's Perth like & would it be worth my trying for a job there.

It sounds like I'm a bit like you, back in England me & my mate had a small brickwork business, & worked with a few joiners & plumbers we all mucked in together to get the job done, plus doing different things on site makes it more enjoyable. But if I can get a job just laying bricks or blocks or stone I'll take it.

so would like to see what you think.

steve.

Steve. The big issue you need to be aware of is age against pr. A sponsored visa is going to be a temporary visa - 457. I am assuming you are over 50. So, in order to ever gain permanent residence you would need to pass a lot of hoops including a minimum salary of about $132k per year.

Thanks for that, yes I'm 55. I know it is a tempary visa but I thought 2 or 3 years then I might be able to get a permanent visa. I don't know if it helps but my wife has 2 pensions with a wage from me would give us around $2000 per week. If we sold our house which we are renting at the moment we would be able to bring over $600,000. Is it still no good.

It's very disappointing knowing we could have a good life out here with our daughter & grandson but our age is against us. To know we have the money to buy a new house & car & my trade is in demand. It makes it worse because we love Australia & would be proud to be part of this wonderful county.

Oh well looks like we will have to go back to Blackpool in May. Can't wait NOT........

Hi

Im moving to Sydney in September. Im a Carpenter. I know there will be differences between Perth and Sydney but how is the work situation? is there plenty of it or is it a struggle?

Hi sorry for late reply, construction is booming here and carpenters are in demand. Perth is just one big construction site, so work is no issue, regards

Archived