Confused as to where to go......

mygirlies

I am writing here as you never know what kind of response you will receive on the main forum.

So I am completely at a loss with regards to living in Australia. So far I have lived in a couple of states and in those states moved around a fair few times.

I just can't seem to settle anywhere or more to the point find 'home'.

....Or something goes wrong and I feel uncomfortable staying (I've been subjected to a lot of bullying since arriving in Aus)

And although somewhat pessimistic I seem to be disappointed with each place I stay. Mostly due to the people. But also what it has to offer.

For those that will say go home, although I do miss home it really wouldn't be any different there (Having no-one to go back to)

Where to live? I am trying to find somewhere that will cater for my daughters special needs (Schools, therapy etc) but haven't been impressed thus far.

But also somewhere that isn't pretentious, isn't typical aussie living and will embrace our beliefs (Vegan, non drinker, free thinker, love nature)

Ive looked into Cairns/Port Douglas (in the hopes that is is far enough away from the materialist rat race of society), being that it has the outdoor lifestyle and it seems the most 'natural' of all places. With an abundance of wildlife, reserves etc

With lots to do in that regard also. But I am really not sure I could cope with the constant heat! I struggle already!

I really want to settle down, for my daughters sake. Start school and build roots, have some norm and familiarity.

Does anyone have any suggestions.... Thank you

I am going to through something into the pot that is a bit off the wall. Durness north west Scotland.

I dont know know your kids needs but there are a lot of families there that have developed a great place that sounds very similar to what you are looking for. It will be hard to find much of an on line presence as they deliberately keep themselves to them selves. But they run a lot of small businesses that make artisan products and all are based in a small community that was an old military base.

So I am completely at a loss with regards to living in Australia. So far I have lived in a couple of states and in those states moved around a fair few times.

I just can't seem to settle anywhere or more to the point find 'home'.

....Or something goes wrong and I feel uncomfortable staying (I've been subjected to a lot of bullying since arriving in Aus)

And although somewhat pessimistic I seem to be disappointed with each place I stay. Mostly due to the people. But also what it has to offer.

Where to live? I am trying to find somewhere that will cater for my daughters special needs (Schools, therapy etc) ...

But also somewhere that isn't pretentious, isn't typical aussie living and will embrace our beliefs (Vegan, non drinker, free thinker, love nature)

Ive looked into Cairns/Port Douglas (in the hopes that is is far enough away from the materialist rat race of society)

I really want to settle down, for my daughters sake. Start school and build roots, have some norm and familiarity.

I've never lived in Cairns/Port Douglas but friends have said the culture is "blokey", so I don't think that would work - especially if you can't handle the heat.

It sounds as though you need a place which has more of an "alternative society" vibe, like Byron Bay, Nimbin or Bellingen in NSW - but they are small places so you would need to check out schools and therapy. The Lower Blue Mountains in Sydney are worth considering - my dance teacher moved to Hazelbrook so her son could go to some kind of alternative school - but Hazelbrook is also close enough to Penrith/Parramatta where there would be special needs schools if that's what you need.

When I lived in Victoria, I remember Ballarat as a big country town (so lots of facilities) which also had a lot of artisan types. That was a long time ago, though.

It's not that often I post something wholly positive about my time in WA but one of the few things we got right was living in Fremantle - it has a wonderful alternative culture.

It is quite expensive but there are suburbs just outside - we actually lived Hamilton Hill, I lovely 5km ride along a costal bike path away - my son rode to school with his dad most days and the 'Fremantle Dr.' keeps the heat manageable most of the time.

My son went to a brilliant alternative school - Lance Holt and there is another alternative school - Kerry Street Community School that is fantastic too. I don't know that either would be equipped for your daughters needs but the fact there are two alternative schools in the area tells you a lot about the place.

As you know I went to the Fremantle Buddhist Centre and to be honest in Freo being vegan is almost mandatory :)

Beginning to wonder why we left!!!!!! That's our own story of course and we have said on reflection if we could have entirely lived and worked in Fremantle then it could have been different - I had to commute to Perth for work though.

Here's a few links to some of my favourite aspects of Freo

http://www.growersgreenfarmersmarket.com

http://fremantlemarkets.com.au

http://www.fac.org.au

http://www.kidogo.com.au

http://www.fremantlewesternaustralia.com.au/fremantlebeaches.htm#southbeachfremantle

For more have a look at the http://www.lovefreo.com website

It's a wonderful place, i could holiday there forever…in the end it just wasn't home.

If you were to decide to move there, I have a wonderful friend who's daughter has Downs Syndrome and has a lot of connections in the special needs community. She helped me to get the help and support I needed with my son & I am sure she would hold out a hand to a newcomer. She's Australian but not originally from Perth so actually moved there not long before we did and has a broader 'world view'. She's a very committed Christian - the very best sort, she practices but never preaches and totally accepted we were worlds apart in that respect. Funny I often say i didn't have true friends in Australia but actually she was the one person i could turn to and rely on and we are still in almost daily contact (albeit only on FB)

I couldn't be more positive about Fremantle and there was a time when I felt blessed to live there.

Archived