Roofing, please help!

Bromney

We bought a house and moved in at the end of September. It's semi-detached, built in the 50's. It has a fairly large extension, this is Brick veneer and has a flat metal roof i.e. not enough of a gap between the roof and the ceiling for a person to get in.

The front of the house has a tiled roof and plenty of crawl space.

We've been hearing a lot of strange noises pretty much since we moved in. There is a lot of 'popping', 'cracking' sounds that can be heard through out the day and in the evenings. Don't really hear at night (past 10pm), there is occasionally a noise or two.

We've ruled out Possums and have thrown up a lot of rat poison (through the downlights in the ceiling). We've also had pest control around and the noises continue. Interestingly pest control couldn't find any evidence of Rats but since they can't get into the flat roof they can't be certain we don't have Rats.

Now I'm thinking it's something issue with the roof rather than pests. Does anyone have any experience of metal roofs where they are cause a lot of noises? I'm thinking of getting a roofer in to take a look but will need to wait until after Xmas now.

The noises seem to getting louder and more frequent which is a real concern.

All metal roofs make noises due to expansion and contraction and the fact that you don't hear it after 10pm points to this issue as it will have contracted due to cooling by then. As most pests are nocturnal, you would likely hear more noise after 10pm, not less. Beware of using rat poison..............some rats are quite big and when they crawl off to die.................usually near water..............such as the condenser on the back of your fridge/freezer, your house could end up stinking like hell if you don't find the carcass.................traps are the better option

Thanks all. I suspect it's expansion and contraction but am surprised by the amount of noise, it can be very loud and I guess I'm just concerned that it appears to be getting more frequent.

I'll get a roofer in just to check it out to make sure there's nothing else happening. It should be OK as the extension was only built in 2007.

Cheers.

• 2 years later...

FYI, this is a 2014 thread that had a spammer post to it. Hence it got bumped back up. 

I'll lock the thread now to avoid confusion. 

Archived