ACCA not recognised as Bachelors degree

budeman

You can say that again.

They used to be, but now GSM applications are handled by 'teams', as far as I can tell it is a case of first up- best dressed. At the end of the day a (section 65) authorised delegate has to make the decision.

I had a look to see if any cases similar to yours had gone to review, but I did not find one.

Sorry with regards to the 'gone to review' what does that involve?

II meant a case where a visa refusal had been taken to the Migration Review Tribunal.

Here is a link to one of my cases that went to review:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/cases/cth/MRTA/2006/148.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=osorio

Ok in my mind that sounds positive - Am I right in thinking that if one can’t be found that went to review this was because in the end the Visa was granted? Or am I just reading this as an optimist?? :smile:

Ok in my mind that sounds positive - Am I right in thinking that if one can’t be found that went to review this was because in the end the Visa was granted? Or am I just reading this as an optimist?? :smile:

Only about 20% of review cases are published. The fact that I did not find a relevant review case is not conclusive. For a decision to be reviewable on the merits it must (with some exceptions) be lodged in Australia, or be sponsored. There might have been cases that did not go to review, because the decision was not reviewable on the merits.

It is quite possible that some applicants who relied on vendor qualifications (not an accounting degree) for their positive pre-migration skills assessment were awarded a qualifying immigration points score without being awarded 15 points for a degree.

This thread has wandered on and off topic, mostly because of irrelevant questions and answers. It is irrelevant that an applicant relied on vendor qualifications and were granted visas. The issue is - were they awarded 15 points for their vendor qualification?

By way of further digression - I have represented and advised engineers and IT applicants and others who held qualifications, assessed as not comparable to an Australian degree; all of whom succeeded. All the accountants I have represented, or advised how to do it themselves (with 100% success, so far) held accounting degrees and in some cases 'making the case' was not straightforward, because of syllabi content and electives and having to dig essential information out of clients a–word-at-a-time over many months.

If I were consulted by a prospective client who held a vendor qualification in accounting, for which they needed 15 points to qualify, I would consult colleagues who practise in this area.

You have to ’make the case’ one way or another. It might not be entirely appropriate to email 5000+ RMAs for advice, but it might be appropriate to email people who claim to have been awarded 15 points for an ABCD vendor qualification in accounting to disclose the relevant particulars.

I shall chase it up the topic one of these days and file it in my database of useful information.

I hope I have pointed you in the right direction.

Only about 20% of review cases are published. The fact that I did not find a relevant review case is not conclusive. For a decision to be reviewable on the merits it must (with some exceptions) be lodged in Australia, or be sponsored. There might have been cases that did not go to review, because the decision was not reviewable on the merits.

It is quite possible that some applicants who relied on vendor qualifications (not an accounting degree) for their positive pre-migration skills assessment were awarded a qualifying immigration points score without being awarded 15 points for a degree.

This thread has wandered on and off topic, mostly because of irrelevant questions and answers. It is irrelevant that an applicant relied on vendor qualifications and were granted visas. The issue is - were they awarded 15 points for their vendor qualification?

By way of further digression - I have represented and advised engineers and IT applicants and others who held qualifications, assessed as not comparable to an Australian degree; all of whom succeeded. All the accountants I have represented, or advised how to do it themselves (with 100% success, so far) held accounting degrees and in some cases 'making the case' was not straightforward, because of syllabi content and electives and having to dig essential information out of clients a–word-at-a-time over many months.

If I were consulted by a prospective client who held a vendor qualification in accounting, for which they needed 15 points to qualify, I would consult colleagues who practise in this area.

You have to ’make the case’ one way or another. It might not be entirely appropriate to email 5000+ RMAs for advice, but it might be appropriate to email people who claim to have been awarded 15 points for an ABCD vendor qualification in accounting to disclose the relevant particulars.

I shall chase it up the topic one of these days and file it in my database of useful information.

I hope I have pointed you in the right direction.

Many thanks for your replies – it certainly has opened my eyes a bit more as to how the process works. I will update here once I get a reply either way.

Thanks to all that have replied - wishing you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Fingers crossed for a Visa in 2015!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well some good news for the New Year - we have been granted our Visas! No mention on the grant notification of the previous correspondence, just looks like the persistence paid off.

Many thanks for all the replies on here, am happy to return the favour so if anyone is in the same situation and needs help I am happy to oblige - just send me a PM.

Ok well some good news for the New Year - we have been granted our Visas! No mention on the grant notification of the previous correspondence, just looks like the persistence paid off.

Many thanks for all the replies on here, am happy to return the favour so if anyone is in the same situation and needs help I am happy to oblige - just send me a PM.

Well done!

I'm glad it worked for you. I am sorry the DIBP gave you hassle when you had already given them enough information to make a visa grant. Hopefully their understanding - and our understanding - of how professional qualifications work will have improved for the next time.

Enjoy Australia.

• 7 months later...

Budeman... i am also in the same position and about to apply... So my question is should i fill in as having bachelors(others) ? and how you resolved your problem in the end (was CO satisfied with your membership standing and transcript) ?

Appreciate your response.

Hi all,

I'm currently in a similar situation. Applied for the visa in July and have provided ACCA membership with all other papers. I do have my bachelor and masters diplomas however 1. there are not in accounting at all 2. I don't have mark sheets for them translated and had no intentions to do so.

Really appreciate budeman (or other member with the similar experience) for the details on how it was finally resolved.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I didnt have my membership certificate so asked ACCA to provide letter of good standing which was sufficient.

I also asked ACCA for copy of exam transcripts which showed each individual exam score.

The skills assessment process should be very simple for ACCA members. I contacted an agent and they would charge £600 + Vat for effectively forwarding a few documents.

Other occupations may be much more involved if they include work experience etc but this isn't needed for accountants skill assessment which makes it so much easier.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've got my visa a month ago. I haven't attached my other bachelor/master documents, as a confirmation of education I've provided to DIBP the following:

- ACCA membership certificate

- CPA letter stating that they consider my ACCA as a bachelor degree

- ACCA transcripts and mark sheet.

Case Office didn't raise any questions at all.

Thank you and good luck!

Archived