Anyone need any advise on moving to Melbourne?

Guest MelbourneBen

Guest MelbourneBen

Hi All,

Ive just found this site, looks really good with some useful info!

My partner and I moved to Melbourne in August`07, we've settled in well and love the place.

I know how daunting it can be making the move so thought I would offer any advise that I can.

So if you have any questions or need any advise just ask away.

Ben

Guest the terry's

Hi Ben,

Do you know anything about Winchelsea (30 mins away from Geelong). Any comment gratefully received.

Helenx

Guest Ange&James
Hi All,

My partner and I moved to Melbourne in August`07, we've settled in well and love the place.

I know how daunting it can be making the move so thought I would offer any advise that I can.

Ben

Hi Ben,

We're right at the beginning of the process but thinking of heading for Melbourne. We'd like to find an area that can offer a good amount of work for an electrician and good schools, not too far from civilisation but with plenty of space. Any ideas would be great.

Angela

Guest TRACEY & PETER
Hi Ben,

We're right at the beginning of the process but thinking of heading for Melbourne. We'd like to find an area that can offer a good amount of work for an electrician and good schools, not too far from civilisation but with plenty of space. Any ideas would be great.

Angela

Hi Angela,

Im Tracey and my hubby is also an electrecian and we are hoping to move to Melbourne,

We have been looking at Mornington/mount martha areas or berwick,

So Ben any advise would be great.

We have passed paper base TRA and are waiting for July's practical test now and can then apply for Visa.

Its a long process but we will get there in the end.

Have you looked at any areas and have you been before. we havnt.

Guest gary12

Ben,

What is Sunbury like?

Houses seem very cheap, which makes me a bit cynical.

I know it is quite close to Broadmeadows which has a bad reputation

Gary

Guest billyblister

Hi ben

We just started the long winding road to Oz. We thinking bout melbourne way because of my work and we have a friend in brunswick. We been looking at roxburgh park and hawthorn . Have you any info or knowledge of the areas. plus in realistic terms how far from centre melbourne. coz on a map it looks close . We are heading out for a reccie in march for 3 weeks

any info would gratefully recieved mate

Paul and Kerry

Guest MelbourneBen

Billy, Not sure on Roxburgh park. Although I work in Hawthorn east and can confirm its a pretty good area, camberwell which is next to Hawthorn is also very nice. Cambewell has quite a big shopping area with nice restaurants etc. check out Realestate.com.au for house price but at a guess i Would say you'd get a nice 2 bed flat or small 3 bed house for about $300 p/w, which is probably slightly more compared to some area's but well worth it.

tracey and Peter...Mornington and the surrounds are nice with affordable housing but I doubt there would be much work locally. You'd probably find yourself travelling to the Melbourne Suberbs for most of your work which you could but you'd be looking at an hours commute. Do you have to live in a regional area for visa reasons?? If not id still suggest living in the south east coast but move closer to Melbourne for work. If you do have to live in a regional area maybe look at Geelong, not quite as nice in my opinion but there will be more work than Mornington.

Angela...theres so many places to suggest, if you want to be near the beach with good schools maybe look at Moordiallic or Mentone. There quite affordable and under an hours commute into the city. If you see any area's your interested in let me know and tell you what I think.

Gary, ive never been to Sunbury mate but ive just asked a friend in the office and he didnt think it was too great. Sorry couldnt be more help.

Guest preston lass

Hi Ben i`m lookingto move to Geelong, never been before so wondering why you think it`s not so nice.

Cheers Gail

Guest MelbourneBen

Hi Gail, I like Geelong, I just the prefer the east side of the bay. But then thats because I live on the south east side so im probably a bit biased! ;-)

Ive only been to Geelong a handful of times. Once to the city's waterfront area/beach which was really nice and secondly on our way to Torquays Bell's beach which was awesome!

Good luck with your move.

Guest preston lass

Thanks Ben, i am now looking at mornington seen as so many seem to be heading that way.

Any infor on this will be great.

Thanks Gail

Guest THE JONEZYS

Have been in Mornington/Mt Martha now for 18 months, happy to share any info or answere questions on the area.

Lesley

Hi there

We really like the idea of mornington or mount martha.... Have 3 kids 15 13 and 9 now, but they will be a year older by the time we come out there... what are the schools like? is the shopping any good? and obvious question with teenage kids, Is there much for kids to do that will keep them out of trouble..

Sorry so many quetsions.

Suz xx

Hi

I have just had a telephone interview for Job in Boxhill Melbourne, things are looking very positive. We have decided that we don't want to live in Boxhill as at the moment we live on the coast. Has anyone got any feedback on Aspendale as the property is reasonable and the local Primary school looks pretty good. Any comments greatfully recieved.

Thanks

Guest kenwardc

Hi Folks

New here so please be gentle! :)

Can anyone tell me what the Eltham North suburb of Melbourne is like? Looks OK on Google Earth but hey - one never knows!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Guest Les & Woz
Hi All,

Ben

Hi Ben

Welcome to POI and thanks for offering help and advice. We are hoping to come to Melbourne in March 09. We have to validate by 8 April 09. We do have some relatives in Pakeham and Philip Island and North Balwyn. We came to Melbourne last October for a wedding but was only there for 3 days and didn't really get to see much. We have no idea of where we want to live (hubby electrician). We were looking at places like Mornington Peninsula, Geelong, Mt Martha, etc. Where are you?

Les :swoon:

Guest susannolloth
Have been in Mornington/Mt Martha now for 18 months, happy to share any info or answere questions on the area.

Lesley

Please Lesley can you help. We are due to fly our to Oz in July as we already have our visa's but I feel so confused. We are not sure where to go as everyone seems to have different opinions. I don't want Queensland as I think it will be to hot and I don't want to live in some sleepy suburb with no life. What's it like in Mornington??. My partner Paul is an Electricain and I am mum to 2 children of 6 and 4. Christopher (my 6 year old) is a keen footballeer and Paul is a keen runner. At the moment we live in Norwich, England and I have been putting off the move as I am so unsure if it is the right thing to do. Do you also know how easy it will be to find accomodation in Mornington and what are the primary schools like. I just worry so much about arriving with no where to stay, no job and with 2 children, any advice you can give would be great, Many thanks Lesley.:wacko:

Guest susannolloth

Lesley

Please Lesley can you help. We are due to fly our to Oz in July as we already have our visa's but I feel so confused. We are not sure where to go as everyone seems to have different opinions. I don't want Queensland as I think it will be to hot and I don't want to live in some sleepy suburb with no life. What's it like in Mornington??. My partner Paul is an Electricain and I am mum to 2 children of 6 and 4. Christopher (my 6 year old) is a keen footballeer and Paul is a keen runner. At the moment we live in Norwich, England and I have been putting off the move as I am so unsure if it is the right thing to do. Do you also know how easy it will be to find accomodation in Mornington and what are the primary schools like. I just worry so much about arriving with no where to stay, no job and with 2 children, any advice you can give would be great, Many thanks Lesley.:wacko:

Guest janinehannahluke

hi just wondered if you have any knowledge of the dingley village area very interested in moving around that area any advice would be great .

janine

Lesley

hi lesley

were looking at the mornington area how hard is it to get rentals as some areas you have a lot of peps going for same house this is a concern do you now of any holiday lets or furnished accomodation any advice

thanks mel

Guest Les & Woz

Hi

I am going to PM you with my email and we can communicate that way it will be easier and quicker.

Les

Guest MelbourneBen

Beverleyblue...I live in Brighton which isnt far from Cheltenham or Moordiallic, both are nice suburbs in my opinion with plenty to do and not far from good beaches. Both are commute are witin easy reach of the city. Let me know if you wanted to know anything specific

Les & Woz...susan may have already helped you out with this one. I found the mornington area to be really nice, its just a long way from the CBD and surrounding city suberbs so you may find problems getting a job close to Mornington. In my opinion mornington would be to far to commute to anywhere near the city.

Archived