What documents are needed for renting and car hire?

indy6160

Hi All,

Me and my husband are relocating to Melbourne in Feb/March time and I was wandering what sort of documents (utility bills, proof of id, other docs) would be required when renting property or hiring a car?

We have years and years worth of utility bills, bank statements but ofcourse we are planning on shipping most of it and therefore won't see it for a good 3 - 4 months.

What docs would it be useful to carry around with us?

Cheers

Indy

Hi Indy,

My husband and I are migrating from the UK to Canberra in March - March 7th to be exact, and I have managed to find out that you will need ID that falls under the 100 point check, some of which is potentially going to be tricky to get. Do a google search. I also reached out to an estate agent who advised that if we don't have jobs immediately that we will need to be able to provide evidence i.e. bank statement showing that we have enough money to cover the first six months rent. Estate agents aren't really that helpful to be honest but this was a small tip that was useful.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks

Sonia

Hi All,

Me and my husband are relocating to Melbourne in Feb/March time and I was wandering what sort of documents (utility bills, proof of id, other docs) would be required when renting property or hiring a car?

We have years and years worth of utility bills, bank statements but ofcourse we are planning on shipping most of it and therefore won't see it for a good 3 - 4 months.

What docs would it be useful to carry around with us?

Cheers

Indy

Although you are planning on shipping your documents it would be very useful to have a good set of information scanned onto a USB stick or in the Cloud. I did this and was very glad I had as we would have been stuck without some of the documents.

As an example I scanned/saved: Passport photo pages, visa documents, driving license picture card and paper supplement, European health card, UK Medical card (from 1979!), 12 months utilities for gas, electric, water and phone/broadband. Bank statements, employment contracts (current and future-shows continuous earnings), corresponding payslips (12 months), recent mortgage statement/house sale documents, house insurance, car insurance, no claims certificate, private medical insurance (I was a 457 visa holder), travel insurance, records of immunisations/health requirements, plus others that I can't remember off the top of my head!! At some point before our container arrived, we had used most of them for one reason or another.

:)

To rent a car, you need a credit card and a driver's license.

I don't know about renting property as it's a long time since I've needed to do that. I would not have thought that you need those utility statements to rent a furnished place for a couple of months, whilst you are finding your feet. I don't know, though. When you go for longer term rental property, perhaps?

I would not have thought that you need those utility statements to rent a furnished place for a couple of months, whilst you are finding your feet. I don't know, though. When you go for longer term rental property, perhaps?

We needed utility bills to supplement our application as we didn't have 100 points of ID per applicant at the time. That we had consistently paid our electricity bills in the UK helped with their decision.

It does seem like overkill but we found a couple of rental agencies asked for different supplementary information and there were a lot of people viewing at each open house so we were glad we were prepared.

We had to show documents for other things too, not just house and car rental. Signing up for Medicare, getting a QLD driving license, visiting the doctors (made it easier to have our health info to hand), getting a mobile phone (!), getting car insurance (we bought a car before our container arrived), etc

:)

For car hire you need a driving licence (UK one will do) and credit card (again UK one will do).

For renting you will probably need a bank statement showing a healthy Australian bank balance to prove you can pay, a job contract with start date and salary, your passport and driving licence, references from your UK landlord or estate agent who sold your house. We also had copies of our pre-written job character references I would recommend getting a Medicare card as soon as possible as it takes a few weeks to arrive.

if you offer 6 months upfront too, that may help

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your responses. For some reason I was not notified by POI, when people responded to my question, so only picked this up now. What do you mean by 100 points on the ID?

I think I might take Lou's advice and scan a lot of my documents. I do have a job offer with the full employment contract, so I guess that will help.

We are leaving late February, so better get cracking with all the scanning I guess ?

indy

We put everything onto memory stick, but we have passports (obviously!) drivers licences and bank cards on us. When you rent a house you need 100 points from an ID list. If you have a bank here with money in, get a statement from them too. With any passports/drivers licences and bank cards, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. We registered for medicare straight away too - it takes a few weeks to get the card, but its another form of id

I didn't know that. The only hassle I ever I used to get was renting without a credit card as they don't like cash. Once I had credit card, all I needed was my licence. Even renting abroad at airport it has only ever been credit card and licence. Will I need more if I go back to UK and want to hire car at Heathrow? I'm worried now.

Archived