Migrating in 2015 anyone?

jac2011

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, just waiting for the final confirmation of the 457 visa. Job offered and contract signed. Due to fly all being well on the 23rd Jan. Working in Ultimo,Sydney. Not booked flights until get the final confirmation... Accommodation provided for first 6 months but then looking at moving to the suburbs, excited and nervous at the same time! Good luck everyone.

Hey all, we are a couple from London and been offered a job in Sydney plan to move over in late Feb 2015, need to find our own place after a month in furnished apartment, we already have our migration visa (175) so any expats in the sydney area who can offer decent areas for rentals budget (400-450 AUD a week) would be most appreciated!

We just booked our flights. Arrive in Sydney 4th July. Sh#t got real!

Great! Did you work out an easy way of checking flights with stopovers in the end?

I usually use Skyscanner but they don't offer this option. Ideally I'd be looking at 2-3 days in Hong Kong on the way from Manchester to Sydney.

Cheers

Hi @mungbean - I didn't really solve all problems. Only ours.

My wife was keen that we didn't go straight through. I just went on a load of the aggregators sites, got a feel for prices and checked against Singapore airlines (our preferred choice). It turns out Singapore did a better deal directly, so we just did that. We liked the idea of a Hong Kong stopover too, but didn't see many options. That's not to say they aren't out there though...

The only cheaper flights we saw were on Malaysian (rest of the family weren't too keen after the year they had) and Etihad were a tad cheaper. We ended up getting our flights for £540 each which is pretty good. (We are going from Manchester to Sydney too)

On Singapore you can search the date and it throws up 3 options. One was an almost non-stop, one was with a 13 hour layover and one with a 17 hour layover.

I rang them and they said we could have had a longer layover, but anything over 24 means we'd have to collect all our check-in luggage and take it off site. (There's 5 of us, so that seemed like a lot of agro). We will book an airport hotel and pop out to the city to look around for a few hours.

If I was going straight through I think it wouldn't matter. But the direct deal with the airline seems better. It offers a little bit more flexibility (including changing dates and times), plus we can get 40kg of luggage each.

I think it depends on your circumstances. If I didn't have the 3 kids with me I'd just go with the quickest and cheapest (and safest, cos I get a bit nervous!)

It turns out Singapore did a better deal directly, so we just did that.

[...]

We will book an airport hotel and pop out to the city to look around for a few hours.

Sounds like you got a great deal there, with the ticket price and with the 40kgs each! From Changi airport it's easy to get into the city and look around, do a bit of shopping etc.

Travelling with kids changes everything I guess :)

Have a great trip when it comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I've just had my invitation, so starting the application within the next week or so. Initially planning a reccy for later this year then a perm move early 2016, but depending on work I may skip the reccy and just go perm in approx sept depending on things here.

I work in IT, so ideally I would like to live in Melbourne, but I have heard the better jobs are in Sydney so may start there and move to Melbourne later on once I have some Oz experience.

Some great posts on here.

Archived