Newbie needing advice and help

John Bish

Forum recommended by a friend and just saying hi and hoping to be pointed in the right direction. Have been reading up on moving to Australia as a permenant move but there is so much information it is difficult to get a clear picture on things. I am a 52 year old single male looking to move and work in Australia. I am a fully qualified Mental Health Nurse and I have 27 years working in mental health in various areas e.g. acute, forensics, rehab etc. I was wondering how I go about starting the process. Would appreciate any advice and pointers in the right directions. Have been on the Australian Commission website and read a fair bit about getting a visa etc and from what I read it appears that my application would be looked on favourably but after registering and starting to fill the expression of interest form in I seem to hit a brick wall as the visa option that seemms to apply to me is not in the drop down.

Hi John, I did that. It appears that EOI is the first thing to do, but actually you need to get your skills assessed (if it is for a skilled permanent residency visa) Basically they need to check your certificates and qualifications to check that your indeed qualified ANMAC are the people who doe this.(this process takes some time and money!) then after they have successfully approved your qualifications, you then go on to the EOI part. Hope this helps, your mind will be boggling by the end of it!!

Thanks for the replies folks. When I did the initial enquiry it came uup as me being eligible despite being over 45. Also a friend of mine who was 54 made the move 3 years ago although he had a sponsor. Seems quite confusing. I have also made enquiries with a migration agency and they have also said that based on the information provided that my application would be considered despite my age. Have also looked at New Zealand and the age there is 55. Seems it may be that I need to contact a migration agent.

Thanks for the replies folks. When I did the initial enquiry it came uup as me being eligible despite being over 45. Also a friend of mine who was 54 made the move 3 years ago although he had a sponsor. Seems quite confusing. I have also made enquiries with a migration agency and they have also said that based on the information provided that my application would be considered despite my age. Have also looked at New Zealand and the age there is 55. Seems it may be that I need to contact a migration agent.

You need a sponsor as you do not qualify for the Skilled Worker (skillselect) program... If you get an sponsor you can get a subclass 457 visa. If your plan is to stay in australia for the rest of your life I suggest you hire an agent or pay at least pay for a hour or so of initial counseling so you can map your future in australia. The 457 is a temporary visa so once it expires you have to go back home, get sponsored again or apply for a different visa, and there are not that many of them that allows a 50+ y/o to be a permanent resident.

Te cut off is actually 50, however, most find it impossible to get enough points to be eligible beyond 45 as there are no age points awarded after 45.

A 457 is possible, but you would need to be aware that it is a temporary visa and it would be very unlikely you would ever gain a permanent visa - so sooner or later you would be returning to the UK.

Have also looked at New Zealand and the age there is 55. .

I heard on the radio this week that New Zealand is currently experiencing a skills shortage due to a booming economy and is streamlining procedures for new skilled migrants.

Archived