Buying a new car - registration help PLEASE!!

hoorayhenry

Hi everyone

I'm looking to buy a new car and pick it up from Brisbane when I arrive. The car sales woman has said to register the car in my name and to put number plates on I need an Oz driving licence (which I obviously don't have) OR get a customer reference number.

Can anyone help me in this? Is it correct what she has said and, if so, how do I get a customer ref number?

Thanks in advance

HHx

Guest sheena

hi ya, dont know if this info will be any good to you but here goes, when we got our cars, we didnt need to have an oz licence, we still dont, and we didnt need a ref number!!! just needed to give address, bank details etc, dont know if its any different coz your not here, but we are in brisbane and if you want to pm me i could give you the name of the garage we used and they might be able to help you,

hope this helps,

sheena

We did have to show our driving licences too, we had to go and get them quickly! Don't know what a customer reference number is though either! Maybe it depends on the garage, don't know; we've bought three cars now, and had to show our licences for all three. It doesn't take long to get one though; just go into a Queensland transport office, show your U.K licence, evidence of identity, evidence of QLD residence, hand over some cash (UNBELIEVABLE!), and they give it you there and then.

Driving in Queensland with an international licence

This link explains how to get your new licence. You could hire a car for a day or two, and then get your licence ready to pick up your new car.

Jo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stoner

I had the same thing i bought a demo, i used a relocation agent for the address they dont charge a fortune. You will find the same with alot of things you will need a house address. But you can hire a car for a week if you can find a rental then you have the address but you need a certian number of things that you cant get without an address for your rental & so on. Get a relocation agent for address, hire car for 7 working days then get your licence then you can take rental back & get your car. You cant have hotel, motel or caravan park for address

Guest John Sydney

A customer ref number is a number you get from the state when you get a drivers license its away they can track how many cars etc you have all with the same number.

I see if the sales girl will register the car with an address of c/- her dealership then change it when you get some place to live

Archived