Northern Beaches vs Bondi area - where would you rather live??

aconcannon

I've asked quite a few questions on here over the months about living in both the Gold Coast / Brisbane and Canberra as they are all areas we're considering moving to and now to complicate things we've a few friends in Sydney and so have decided to consider setting up base there - although originally it wasn't somewhere we were considering due to how expensive living costs are.

My question is... what are the major differences between living in the Northern Beaches (Manly area) and living in the Bondi sort of area please? We have friends who live in both areas and honest opinions from people living in Sydney would be great?!

...Is one particualrly more expensive than the other? Is one full of more backpackers than the other? Does one have better/quicker transport links to the CBD than others?

Any advice and honest opinions would be massively appreciated please.

My "guestimate" is that on the Northern Beaches, especially the further north you go, you tend to build your life around that area. You may work in the city but your other life will be up there. There is no train, only buses and the trip to the city can be up to an hour.

Most of the Eastern Subs beaches are 7/8 km from CBD though Maroubra and Malabar are further but 11/12 km. Still mostly buses but not so far and long a trip to the City.

I used to live at Narrabeen 25 km or so from the City.I did not like commuting to the city but when I got back to Narrabeen on a Friday it felt like I was on holiday.

If I had a job in the City or out west and I wanted to live by a beach I'd choose Eastern Subs. If My job was North of the Harbor I'd prob choose Northern Beaches.

Manly is a bit different with its ferry link to the City and prob similar to Bondiin size facilities restaurants etc.

I don't care where the backpackers are (Bondi and Coogee, Manly?)

Cronulla is south but not Eastern Subs further way but it has a railway uniquely.

I am nostalgic for Narrabeen as I lived there and I rather like Avalon with its trendy small town ambience. 45? Km from City? Have a job up there and never go south of Mona Vale let alone to Sydney?!

Only My opinion! And I HATEcommuting!

Unfortunately we won't have the luxury of basing where we live around our work as we'll be turning up and needing a place to live before we find work I would have thought.

All your information is really helpful thanks - some suburbs there I haven't heard of and so will look into it all in more detail :)

I don't think I would enjoy a commute, but then the chances are I personally will end up working in the CBD and we'd very much like to live within walking distance of a beach and so that cancels out any city living.

If you can afford Manly you can walk to the beach and walk to the ferry or fast ferry. 30 min and 20 min cheaper and dearer.

Live in Cronulla and walk to beach and walk to train which is I think about an hour to City.

Live at Bondi, Bronte, Clovelly, Coogee (forgot Tamarama) prob 30 min to City on bus or bus to Bondi Jn and then train.

Live on the Northern Beaches and some of the express buses may do trip from say Dee Why or Narrbeen in 30 plus mins?( have to check?)

Final option is one of the Harbour beaches which can be expensive.Balmoral and Clontarf on North Side. I had swim tonight at Nielsen Park but you need big BIG $ to buy there!

I have lived south of the CBD (Sans Souci) and now on the northern beach's I much prefer it where I am now , its a 2min walk to the fast bus to city on a Saturday this takes 45min or we can catch a bus to Manly (30 second walk to stop)and be at the ferry wharf in 40 min, but then we can be in the Hunter valley drinking wine on a vine yard in1hr 50 from front door in the car , after spending the best part of 3 years commuting from sans souci to the northern suburbs to work ( Construction project manager ) I would definitely be looking to where your work is going to be based as traffic is 10 times worse than anything back in UK and after working a 10 hr. day you don't want a 2-3 commute home ,good luck

@Rallyman - if someone lived in sans Souci or maybe across the bridge in the shire - which would be a better commute into the CBD and surrounding areas? Sans Souci or northern beaches (ps how far up are you these days?)

I am only asking as we are looking at both those areas and also possibly the more southerly half of the eastern suburbs (maroubra/randwick/South coogee)

Any opinion from someone who has done it is most welcome.

I'll have a look at the bus and driving times later, want to go for a coffee before the podiatrist! Rallyman mentioned the fast buses to the cities and I remember that the 190? (now L90?) bendybus was very fast to the city from Narrabeen - 35 minutes. It was just that I was going through a 'bad' period in my life and I just could not cope with travelling on crowded buses and trains, hence my move to the inner city - Surry Hills.

I don't suppose I could sell you on Surry Hills? It would mean a terrace house with a small garden but it also means walking almost everywhere, including the city. I walked to the southern part of the city last night at 2145 for a meal. There is an excellent pool in the equally excellent Prince Alfred Park with play areas and a cafe just down the road. I love going to the beach and I can choose from ten all within about half an hour of where I live, some by bus from outside my door, though I prefer to drive. Central Station is ten minutes walk and buses are all around too. Ten minutes or less from Central to the CBD depending on which station. On Saturday, I got the train to Town Hall, and walked to Circular Quay then got the traing back to Central.

Time for that coffee - another advantage of Surry Hills - cafe outside my door!

@Rallyman - if someone lived in sans Souci or maybe across the bridge in the shire - which would be a better commute into the CBD and surrounding areas? Sans Souci or northern beaches (ps how far up are you these days?)

If you are worried about commutes to the city, then stick to suburbs that have a train line. Commuting by car is simply not practical from most areas (for instance, I used to live in Oatley - 20 minutes by car on a Sunday evening, 2 hours by car in rush hour). Buses are obviously vulnerable to traffic too, even with bus lanes.

Hi Mattew,

Traffic is a real issue from both areas into the CBD by car , if we are going into the city for a night then 99% of the time we would use public transport as parking is expensive and not practical,you can also have a few beers !.

If you are going to be working in the city as others have said I would be looking at good rail connections. It would be quicker to get into the CBD from maroubra/randwick/South coogee than the northern beachs but then property is more expensive in these areas along with paying more rental costs ,unfortunately you will have to make compromise's .

It all depends on the type of life style you want, We have bought some land up in the hunter to build our own house, one thing I noticed when speaking with people where we have bought our land was commute times were spoken in distance, in Sydney it is how long you will be stuck in traffic !

we are living in Mona Vale its a 2min walk to beach with a few cafes within walking distance a great place to live .

I was just looking at the bus times from Dee Why, Narrabeen, Mona Vale, and Avalon to Sydney (Wynyard - is that where they stop first when they come off the Harbour Bridge?) 40 minutes, 45-50 minutes, 50-60 minutes, 1hr 20 mins. Forgot about Newport - between Mona Vale and Avalon? And Palm Beach itself north of Avalon

I looked at Freshwater (or Harbord as it was called?) and Curl Curl, 40 and 50 mins, Queensliff at the northern end of Manly Beach - Add on ten minutes to get down to the wharf at Manly?

Manly Wharf to Circular Quay, 18 minutes on the fast ferry, 30 minutes on the regular one.

Buses from Bondi, Bronte, Clovelly, Coogee, to Elizabeth Street, all around 30-35 mins, maybe a little less, depending on traffic, and around 40 from Maroubra.

Train from Cronulla to Martin Place, around 50 minutes to just under an hour.

I don't know how you should/could decide which area you would like to live, subject to your price range, of course, and where you are going to be working.

I have lived south of the CBD (Sans Souci) and now on the northern beach's I much prefer it where I am now , its a 2min walk to the fast bus to city on a Saturday this takes 45min or we can catch a bus to Manly (30 second walk to stop)and be at the ferry wharf in 40 min, but then we can be in the Hunter valley drinking wine on a vine yard in1hr 50 from front door in the car , after spending the best part of 3 years commuting from sans souci to the northern suburbs to work ( Construction project manager ) I would definitely be looking to where your work is going to be based as traffic is 10 times worse than anything back in UK and after working a 10 hr. day you don't want a 2-3 commute home ,good luck

This should be your main warning sign for the Northern Beaches;

"on a Saturday this takes 45min"

Reality = you can't expect to work in the CBD and live anywhere other than very close to the Manly ferry. This will be central London expensive.

Archived