Any help on shortlisting suburbs pls?!

bellebellec

Hi all

I know you will have seen people asking these questions a million times, but could anyone help us please? We currently live in NZ, but we are considering a transfer to Sydney with my OHs employer.

He would be based in a Parramatta office, but also has an office in the main cbd. We are looking for some advice on suburbs between the 2 areas please or suggestions of anywhere else assuming commute is less than 30-40 mins(with relatively easy commutes). We are a family with a 4 year old, who I believe would start school end of Jan, so we need to narrow down to suburbs with good primary schools. We would be looking to rent and would be looking around the $600-$700 per week mark.

Could anyone give me a start point? We have been to Sydney before but only as tourists, so we are aware of the scale of Sydney!! We started looking on real estate, but there are just too many suburbs!! No idea where to start...

Thanks!!

If it ends up being the Parramatta Office I would suggest Baulkham Hills, Winston Hills, Northmead. I haven't mentioned the other Hills suburbs because Old Northern Road, Windsor and Old Windsor Roads are dreadful morning and evening peaks. The suburbs I've mentioned mean that you don't have to enter Windsor road until north Parramatta,making the commute reasonable. Schools are excellent and plenty of other facilities, as there are all over the Hills District.

I would prefer to stay close to the railway line between Parra and Sydney and maybe look at Strathfield, South Strathfield, Burwood, Ashfield, Croydon, maybe Stanmore, Petersham, Leichhardt, depending if those areas are within budget. Maybe Parramatta itself. I'd live there. You have all the facilities you want. The Hills is a nice area but no trains so commuting means bus or car. My train is just going thru Ashfield and Summer Hill now.

I'm not going to recommend Penrith where I work but I like the place and you will certainly get value for money there. Same facilities as Parra. Express train 25 min to Parra and 50 to Sydney Central.

I don't like commuting hence my prejudice against some areas which are otherwise perfectly liveable.

I live in Surry Hills ten min walk from Central, 20 from Town Hall. I love it. Sone families do too!

Central 1923 left Pen at 1833. 55km

There are trains in easy reach of Baulkham Hills and Winston Hills at Seven Hills, which has good parking at the station. My suggestion was made on the assumption the the OP would be mainly working in Parramatta. If that will not be the case there are too many options to list. I wouldn't live in Parramatta!

I did a bit of research, using 'Croydon' as an example, and was surprised that you an get a home in your budget. I found one home for $580 per week, and there are others in the same price range.

Croydon is about half way between both Parramatta and Sydney CBD, 30 mins by train to either destination, and a little less if driving. It's got the advantage of being closer to the Western Motorway which starts in Concord, and from Sydney means negotiating endless traffic lights and jams.

4 Paisley Road Croydon NSW 2132

I don't actually know that much about Croydon. There's no pub, so no reason for me to go there! Only joking. It does have a reasonable little shopping and restaurant street, but no pub, and Ashfield is practically next door for the big shops.AddRemove

Property Summary

Features: 2 beds, 1 bath, 4 parking

Property Summary

Price: $580 / Wk Bond: $2,320 Property type: House Suburb: CROYDON (profile) Region: Sydney Region

<a id="Content_Content_propertySummary_propertyTools_ContactAgentLinkNoScript" class="btn sml" href="/ore/Public/LightBox/AgentProfileLightBox.aspx?adid=9389353&mode=Rent">Email the agent</a> Email the agent

rotating_blu.gifCancel

93893531pio11115823

Other Views

• 93893532pite11115824
  • 93893533pite11115824
  • 93893534pite11115825

Your Notes

Can`t save now, please try again laterAdd/Edit

Property Details

Perfectly Positioned !

This perfectly positioned renovated 2 bedroom semi boasts light filled interiors, large eat in kitchen with gas cooking, modern bathroom with second toilet, 2 good sized bedrooms - one with built-in wardrobe, polished floorboards, spacious living area, large storage shed in backyard, easy care garden and a long driveway for up to 4 cars which leads to a carport. The property is perfectly positioned just metres to Croydon Station, local shops and parks. Don't miss out on this one ! 9389353

Open for inspection times

Display address:Project address:

• Sat 15 Nov 2014 11:30 AM to 11:45 AM

• <a id="Content_Content_Inspection_BookInspectLinkNoScript" class="dialogEnquiry" href="/ore/Public/LightBox/AgentProfileLightBox.aspx?adid=9389353&mode=Rent"></a> Make an appointment

http://www.croydon-p.schools.nsw.edu.au/our-school

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydon,_New_South_Wales

<a id="Content_Content_ContactAgentLinkNoScript" class="button" href="/ore/Public/LightBox/AgentProfileLightBox.aspx?adid=9389353&mode=Rent">Email the Agent</a> Email the Agent

Thanks to both of you, I will go and have a good look at the suburbs you mention. In NZ, OH currently commutes by car for 1.5hrs each way and that is a huge problem, so we def want to reduce that, but I guess our main priority would be good schools and access to facilities!!

Here we live on a small estate in the middle of nowhere, with no facilities!! Driving us insane, so yes we def want a pub/cafes/shops/ other people!! etc nearby..

If it ends up being the Parramatta Office I would suggest Baulkham Hills, Winston Hills, Northmead. I haven't mentioned the other Hills suburbs because Old Northern Road, Windsor and Old Windsor Roads are dreadful morning and evening peaks. The suburbs I've mentioned mean that you don't have to enter Windsor road until north Parramatta,making the commute reasonable. Schools are excellent and plenty of other facilities, as there are all over the Hills District.

Hi Ellie, thanks. Could you clarify approx commute time from the suburbs you mention to Parramatta? Thx

An awful lot depends on what you are looking for. The Hills District is a full of young families and convenient for Parramatta, though not so handy for the CBD. I know a lot of people who live there but could never do it myself - it's suburbia and full of MacMansions! Although I believe Castle Hill has some good cafes and restaurants now.

If you want a bit more cafe society then I second MaryRose's suggestion of Croydon, Burwood, or Ashfield. All are on the train line between Parramatta and the CBD, so commuting would be easy. The whole trip from the CBD to Parramatta by train is about an hour.

Hi Ellie, thanks. Could you clarify approx commute time from the suburbs you mention to Parramatta? Thx

Off peak by car approximately 10 minutes, peak times around half an hour, haven't ever timed it. Don't know bus times but could be pretty quick as there are designated bus lanes all the way down Windsor road to Parramatta and motorists are fined if caught in them during the peak.

There are all types of families and homes in the Hills, although the newer,farther out, suburbs like Rouse Hill are inhabited by mostly young families.

On air conditioned train towards Penrith. It was mega hot and humid in Surry Hills so it is safe bet Penrith will be MEGA MEGA HOT ie close to 40 deg. Any burb away from the coast is unpleasantly hot and humid on the bad days so you need yr air con! Think an evil sadist is holding hair dryer to yr face whichever way you turn! This train service is great though usually on time and three stops between Central and Pen. U need air con in yr car too!

I have received confirmation email from NSW for state nomination subclause-190.But i didn't make payment earlier.At the email its has been written that case officer will notify about the payment method.Though its already passed one month.I didn't get any email.Is there anybody who receive such email or know about the issue.Pls notify me......

Archived