Advice on flights and baggage

aconcannon

So my husband and I received the fantastic news this morning that our visas have finally been granted and so this weekend we'll be booking flights!!

Does anybody have any experience of airlines who allow free extra baggage for people emigrating? A friend of ours flew Singapore Airlines when she emigrated and says she was able to get 2 x 30kg suitcases per person as part of her allowance but she did of course have to contact the airlines in advance and send proof of her visa in order to receive this perk.

Does anybody know any other airlines who offer perks like this?? Please help.

Thank you

Hi, I recently booked my flight with Singapore Airlines, I emailed them with regard extra baggage allowance, Their response was that so long as I had not activated the 189 visa I could have an additional extra free 10kg hold baggage allowance. My husband has already flown over, his flight was with Quantas, all they offered was extra baggage for a reduced fee.

Don't forget on these flights you also have cabin allowance of one bag plus handbag. So with 40k each, one small cabin case and large handbag for me and backpack for son and OH, we had plenty. TBH I don't think we could have managed any more bags!

we used strong nylon hold Alls for most luggage as fit more and weigh lighter than cases and one strong but light suitcase for more valuable, delicate things. Paperwork, jewellery and laptops went in cabin baggage. All out other cases went in the container.

oh yes and sports equipment was free in addition. So we also had one road bike. Needed a mini bus from airport!

I wouldn't get too caught up with this, you can always courier over a suitcase for about £150 for 30kg.

I know this because a colleague recently came from the UK with XS baggage, and that was the deal.

She rocked up at Heathrow with 2 suitcases, both with 30kg in them, and a baggage allowance of 30kg, so that's how I know.

ok so we arrived in Aus this week. Flew Singapore airlines. Got 40kg new migrant pp and when got to the check in desk we didn't even max out the 30k standard allowance! However...you need email confirmation from the airline. All you do is drop them a line via web enquiry. Good luck.

Archived