How clean is clean??

eddieb7

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice from people who had already sent there personal stuff over in a container.

We had a guy out from Anglo Pacific, who went on big time about ensuring everything is clean and dirt free. Ensuring the base of shoes are dirt free, golf bag is dirt free, and even going to the extreme of buying Jeyes Fluid to cleanse any outdoor equipment.

I think he was being too excessive, but was just looking for some feedback of what other people have done to ensure everything is clean so as not to have any issues going through customs and quarantine.

Cheers

Eddie

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice from people who had already sent there personal stuff over in a container.

We had a guy out from Anglo Pacific, who went on big time about ensuring everything is clean and dirt free. Ensuring the base of shoes are dirt free, golf bag is dirt free, and even going to the extreme of buying Jeyes Fluid to cleanse any outdoor equipment.

I think he was being too excessive, but was just looking for some feedback of what other people have done to ensure everything is clean so as not to have any issues going through customs and quarantine.

Cheers

Eddie

Everything will be ok as long as it is all clean, especially outside stuff like garden furniture, shoes, golf trolleys etc. No cane or wicker and only treated or varnished wood.. He's not exaggerating unfortunately.. You can leave it, but have heard some stories about the costs of cleaning or failing that, destruction of items etc.. Someone paid around $90 to have a wicker basket destroyed lol.. Apparently if everything smells of Jeyes fluid then they know that you've made the effort to clean stuff.. They are pretty keen on this kind of thing... Don't want any outside plant life or crawly things getting in.. :wacko:

I took an old toothbrush to scrub the soles of all our shoes so I could get every little bit of mud out the grips! All the tools we brought over were cleaned within an inch of their life.

The guy wasn't lying or trying to scare you, just save you money :-). Our stuff arrives on Tuesday (yay) and we seem to have been all ok.

It's will all depend on what they check in your container. I know people who have got whole wicker sets of furniture in and other "contraband" simply because it wasn't checked. I have also known people who had to pay a fortune to have things cleaned/destroyed.

We did clean everything with Jeyes fluid and scrubbed all the soles of the shoes.

We were also told that they don't like rust so that was a good excuse to get rid of some old tools and bikes.

I'm not taking any, but if I was, I would run through the machine with a washing machine cleaner, and remove the drawer and clean it and remove the rubber too and replace it with a new one when it arrives. I think my main concern would be fridges, washing machine, dishwasher etc., going mouldy whilst in transit. I would think you would need to make sure it was properly dry before it was packed up.