CRB - Criminal Records Bureau

Guest seanyleeds

Guest seanyleeds

I'm a secondary school Maths teacher working in the UK. I would like to move out to Oz to teach in secondary schools next year. Unfortunately I have a blemished CRB form which includes ABH from a couple of years ago plus a couple of other similar convictions from a number of years ago Although I have been cleared by the DFeS and General Teaching Council to teach in the UK, would I be barred from teaching in secondary schools in Oz? I have been told Australia is really strict about criminal records.

• 1 month later...
Guest paulwbafc

You will have to wait until your record is clear. They do CRB checks when you go for a visa. To get confirmation check with an agent. I think it will be on your record for 6 years then will be clear. I suggest you send off for you crb. Cost is about ten quid. You will see whats on your record with the dates. Once it is clear then go for it.

Guest rosie

I got mine checked last year still had a couple of minor things showing from when I was 18 I'm 44 now so think clearing after 6 years is a bit optimistic :sad:

Guest Ms_Fi

It's my understanding that nothing disappears from an enhanced disclosure - all you can do is get in touch with a migrant agent and ask their advice. It's possible that you'll be accepted as you're currently teaching but nothing is guaranteed.

Guest creakybones

Hi

If you contact the local police station they can give you a number to contact to get old blemishes removed from your record as long as it didn't involve a prison sentence. We did this as OH had drink driving offence from 19 years ago. Reapplied for the check and it came back completely clear so it is worth trying.

Maria

Guest gothicqueen
It's my understanding that nothing disappears from an enhanced disclosure - all you can do is get in touch with a migrant agent and ask their advice. It's possible that you'll be accepted as you're currently teaching but nothing is guaranteed.

thats true, things will still show on an enhanced CRB check

Did you serve a prison sentance, and if so was your sentance for over 2 years? (This doesnt have to be what you served but what the actual sentance was) If so it will unfortunatley never be spent, but under 2 years and it becomes spent after 6 years (I think, Ive left my work brain at work LOL, Im telling offenders these facts on a daily basis but ask me at 10 pm on a friday night and brain goes to purple mush!)

However if you are teachiong here in the uk, I dodnt imagine you have a prison record and maybe they will take it in to account that you teach here and everything is OK.

Hope that helps PM me if you need any more info

The police check for migration is different and shows all offences. However, I believe if you pay for the £35 one, it doesn't actually list the offences. I know in WA you need a working with children clearance. Can you get a supporting letter from the education dept to say that they have cleared you for working and that your teaching career is unblemished?

Ali

Archived