Spa's, anyone got one?

theonetruechris

Thinking real hard about getting a spa before the warm weather kicks in. What are they like to run? notwithstanding the initial set up costs with spa, lid, fencing. Do they cost a lot to heat, are the chemicals expensive / a pain to use? Also can you just decide to go in or do you have to wait ages for it to warm up.

Cheers

Have you thought of hiring one first...just to see how you get on with it.

Not something I've ever fancied.....but daughter has a friend coming for Xmas and asked if we could hire one, the prices for hire for the two weeks don't seem that bad. I haven't got any further than looking at prices though, so not sure if there is more too it, but the previous owners of the house we bought had one when we viewed, so I'm just assuming it would be straightforward for us to hire.

We have one - although OH refusing to refill it for use at the moment! Trouble is you can heat the water, so its nice for Spring and Autumn, but you can't cool it down, so when it's 40 degs here in the summer, you really don't want to sit in what is effectively then a hot bath! It's more something I'd use in cooler months really, but then you have the issue of getting out of it into the cold air! My daughter had a few teenage spa parties in it though (we hired a patio heater for when they got out!)

We have one - although OH refusing to refill it for use at the moment! Trouble is you can heat the water, so its nice for Spring and Autumn, but you can't cool it down, so when it's 40 degs here in the summer, you really don't want to sit in what is effectively then a hot bath! It's more something I'd use in cooler months really, but then you have the issue of getting out of it into the cold air! My daughter had a few teenage spa parties in it though (we hired a patio heater for when they got out!)

Can't you heat it to desired temp?? I thought you could...we had one in our very first rental and were in it all the time (temps in 40s....) then family had one in their rental which was used frequently in Summer...to me I think Id prefer a decent spa to a small pool...a pool is little more than a large spa without the jets in a lot of cases...Id need to be able to properly swim a decent distance to appreciate a pool I think. We have the space! but sadly not the money! Off to check Lotto now!

My parents have one in Spain, they both power and heat it via solar, they did have it on the mains but it cost a fortune to run.

I know it's not quite as hot in the Spanish mountains but they manage to regulate the temp on a simple thermostat. And keeping the cover off overnight in the really hot months.

Can't you heat it to desired temp?? I thought you could...we had one in our very first rental and were in it all the time (temps in 40s....) then family had one in their rental which was used frequently in Summer...to me I think Id prefer a decent spa to a small pool...a pool is little more than a large spa without the jets in a lot of cases...Id need to be able to properly swim a decent distance to appreciate a pool I think. We have the space! but sadly not the money! Off to check Lotto now!

You can heat it UP to a required temperature, but you can't cool it down, so if the air temp is very warm, so will the water temp be. We have ours on the patio under cover, so when it is warm (over 40 for instance) it gets VERY warm under there and it's a bit like being cooked, getting into hot water when the air is already baking!

Seems smart monies on the hard wired type more capacity to heat and do the jets at the same time. I didn't realize you have to change the water every 3-4 months. Bit more research me thinks

Yeh, hence why my OH gets fed up with ours! It's all those dissolved body fats in the filter! After daughter had all her mates in it, he refused to get in it himself again until he'd changed the water and cleaned the filters as well as he said it would be like sharing a bath with all those strange people!

Edited by Diane