Randwick area??? Is it family friendly?

Aims

I can't think of many disadvantages of living in Randwick with a family. I suppose some of the roads are stuffed up with cars parking because of the hospitals and UNSW, but if you have off-street parking that would not be a problem.

It's aways a hassle parking around The Spot with all its restaurants and cinema, but then if you live in the area, you can just walk there.

There are plenty of schools, churches, shops, medical facilities. the beach at Coogee is practically walking distance (I used to walk there from ANZAC Parade up through UNSW.) There are no trains, but plenty of buses, and I think there will be a tram/light rail network from the City in a few years.

I don't actually know of ANY family-UNfriendly areas in the Eastern Suburbs!

Hello,

Me and my partner, originally from London, live in Randwick and we absolutely love it! We've stayed in a number of suburbs since arriving in Oz this year as we were to travelling, but now we've been sponsored and settled, we chose Randwick to set up home. To us, it has everything you need and is so close to the city as well as Coogee, Bronte, Maroubra, and Clovelly Beach... Shout if you need further info :-) Thanks, Charlotte

Hello,

Me and my partner, originally from London, live in Randwick and we absolutely love it! We've stayed in a number of suburbs since arriving in Oz this year as we were to travelling, but now we've been sponsored and settled, we chose Randwick to set up home. To us, it has everything you need and is so close to the city as well as Coogee, Bronte, Maroubra, and Clovelly Beach... Shout if you need further info :-) Thanks, Charlotte

I spent my first few weeks in Sydney over Xmas and New Year 1978/1979 living at residential colleges at UNSW on ANZAC Parade, and then later, I did a degree at UNSW, so I've always been half familiar with Randwick, going to Coogee, going to uni. I can buses from outside my door here in Surry Hills.

A bloke I worked at Garden Island, used to drop me off on Alison Road and I walked along Wansey Road to the uni.

I like going to The Spot sometimes for coffee, but I've not been to the cinema yet.

PS, I see that is your first post, Charlotte! You'll have to make a copy as a memento!

Thats all really helpful, thank you :)

I guess by family friendly i mean, all of the above, good childcare, schools, parks etc etc but also that I want to live in a nice area.

I don't want to be worried that I live in an area where we won't feel safe, as me and my young daughter are coming out there alone.

I see that rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in Randwick area is 5-600 per week. Is this typical everywhere?

I'm just thinking that I would like to work part time, I don't want to have to come out there and work more than I do now and so having less time with my daughter and to explore. I currently work 3 days 9-5 a day.

I think I am just realising that maybe I can't afford to do this :/

Thats all really helpful, thank you :)

I guess by family friendly i mean, all of the above, good childcare, schools, parks etc etc but also that I want to live in a nice area.

I don't want to be worried that I live in an area where we won't feel safe, as me and my young daughter are coming out there alone.

I see that rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in Randwick area is 5-600 per week. Is this typical everywhere?

I'm just thinking that I would like to work part time, I don't want to have to come out there and work more than I do now and so having less time with my daughter and to explore. I currently work 3 days 9-5 a day.

I think I am just realising that maybe I can't afford to do this :/

Sydney is the most expensive city in Australia. It's like living in London compared to the rest of Britain. $500 to $600 will get you a small two bedder in Randwick in an old building. Most decent sized modern apartments with parking are upwards of $700. It's the same, or worse, in all the suburbs close to the CBD or the beaches.

I do think you're going to have to do more research, work out your budget etc. People often assume they're going to be better off financially in Australia than in the UK, but it's usually not the case if you come to Sydney. You'll get the blue skies and the warm weather, but housing is so astronomical (whether you rent or buy), it eats up a lot of your income.

I'm not clear whether you're literally "coming out alone" or if that's just a temporary thing until your partner arrives? If you're coming alone, how are you managing that? There are only two ways to get into Australia really, you need to have an occupation that's on the list, or you need to have family who can sponsor you. If you have a highly-paid occupation you might be able to work part-time if you choose another city where living costs are lower.

However, bear in mind that you would lose any benefits you currently get as a single mum in the UK and you'll have a long waiting period before you can get any help from the Australian government.

Hi,

I am literally coming out alone as I am a single mummy. I don't get much help single parent wise here other than I get 50% of my childcare fees paid for me. As I own my own home I am not entitled to anything else. I am however a registered paediatric nurse, health visitor and nurse prescriber so I am on the list of wanted skills so thats how I was planning on coming out.

I am only looking at coming over temporarily for a year. My plan was to work 3-4 days a week so that I still get the work/home balance with my little girl and its gives us a few days a week to explore and then any annual leave to explore other parts of Australia.

Its difficult to pin down a budget as the family and child nurse jobs there are advertised at $28-40 an hour so I am unsure as to where in that range I would fit and be paid.

I am beginning to think I need to look at other parts of Australia.

Randwick was highlighted as a friend lived and worked there, plenty of the jobs I am looking for are coming up and it seemed nice from what I could find out.

I guess I am realising a whole lot more research needs to be done. I have always wanted to come out for a year to work and it seems that before my little girl starts school would be the least disruption for her and as she has just turned 2 I thought I need to start planning now as I know it takes a long time to get there.

Maybe I am being unrealistic in coming over :/

Thank you for all your help and advice x

If you work at the hospital in Randwick (?Prince of Wales?) and you live there then you would not have to worry about the cost or time of commuting.

Did you have a particular Sydney hospital in mind? Randwick might not be so suitable if you are working in another suburb. OK for St Vincent's at Darlinghurst, but not so convenient for RPA in Camperdown or RNS at St Leonard's.

If you wanted a cheaper area, then maybe look at Nepean Hospital near Penrith. There are 'nice' suburbs out there and much cheaper than Randwick. I've seen a thread about Penrith area with people talking about family friendly areas to live.

Don't give up on your dream!

Hi,

I am literally coming out alone as I am a single mummy.

I am only looking at coming over temporarily for a year. My plan was to work 3-4 days a week so that I still get the work/home balance with my little girl and its gives us a few days a week to explore and then any annual leave to explore other parts of Australia.

Its difficult to pin down a budget as the family and child nurse jobs there are advertised at $28-40 an hour so I am unsure as to where in that range I would fit and be paid.

I am beginning to think I need to look at other parts of Australia.

I think you definitely need to look at other areas, because pay is fairly standardized over the country but housing costs vary a LOT. Also, to find affordable housing in Sydney or Melbourne you'll have to live quite far out and commute - which means a long day, and therefore paying extra for child care (at full rate because you won't be eligible for any support).

I live in Sydney and I think it's the best city in Australia (and I used to live in Randwick!) - but it is expensive now, so expensive that now I'm retired, I'm going to have to move away. So you will be far, far better off choosing Brisbane or Adelaide, or (if you can get work) a smaller city, where housing and child care is cheaper, and commute times are shorter.

If you don't mind the heat, I'd suggest Queensland because it contains most of the sights you'll want to see, like the Great Barrier Reef, Fraser Island, Whitsunday Islands, beautiful beaches etc. From Brisbane, Tweed Heads or Noosa you could go for a driving holiday to those places, whereas from anywhere else in Australia you'd have to fly.

Frankly, I'm dubious about the one-year idea though. It's fine for a backpacker who can live in hostels and flat-shares, but with a child you'll want to make a decent home. Flats in Australia are rarely rented furnished, so it doesn't matter whether you're coming for a year or forever - you either have to bring your furniture, pots & pans etc with you, or buy it all again when you arrive. That's a few thousand dollars, and then you have to consider the cost of moving back as well. You also need to budget for a car, because in most places it's hard to survive without one - and they are more expensive than in the UK.

I had a look on www.seek.com.au for jobs in your field in Sydney, (paedatrics) and one of the first ones that came up is at Prince of Wales Private hospital in Randwick!

Furnishing a flat does not have to be that expensive. You could do it from charity shops. My brother gave me my sofa and my computer desk, and I found my bookcase in the garbage area under my block of flats, as I did one of my CD racks, with the other two coming from 'Vinnies' (a charity shop.) Oh, and another mate gave me my coffee table!

It might even be feasible to share a house with someone. Most of my single friends who live here in Surry Hills, rent furnished rooms in shared houses. Perhaps you would find someone with a house who would love to have you sharing with them?

Was there a reason for just coming out for a year? You might like it and want to stay longer? A 457 visa is for four years anyway isn't it? Is there a requirement to work a minimum period?

Anyway, here's that job!

Registered Nurse - Paediatrics

[h=2]Prince of Wales Private Hospital[/h]

• Casual positon – flexible hours and shifts
  • Supportive Management
  • Current AHPRA registration essential

Seeking a new challenge?Looking for a flexible work pattern to fit around your lifestyle?There’s never been a better time to join one of Sydney’s leading Private Hospitals.We are seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Registered Nurse to work in our busy Paediatric Unit.We can offer opportunities for nurses at all stages of their careers in a supportive and friendly environment.Located in the heart of Randwick, Prince of Wales Private Hospital is one of Sydney's leading private hospitals, co-located on the campus with Sydney Children's Hospital, Prince of Wales Public, and the Royal Hospital for Women.Flexible work packages are available for the right candidates.Essential Criteria:

• Paediatric nursing experience essential (minimum 1 year as a RN)
  • Excellent verbal and written communication skills
  • Proven time management and prioritisation skills

If you are the preferred candidate for the position, you will need to comply with NSW Health Policy Directive 2011-005 “Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination Against Specified Infectious Diseases”Applications close: Friday 31 October 2014For further enquiries: Natasha Owens - Acting Nurse Unit Manager, 02 9650 4593To Apply: Please click on the 'Apply' button below to be taken to our online application process. Please include a cover letter and your CV along with contact details for two professional referees.

Here's a one bedroom unit for $430 a week. I'm thinking that, if your child is very young, it might be OK to be in a one bedder? Walk to work, no time wasted commuting (I spend three hours commuting to Penrith and back) and no wasted money on fares either (It used to be $9.20 per day for me, but since I'm over 60, I can do it for $2.50 a day with my Seniors' card!) You can get better units, of course, in the 500-600 range, with two bedrooms rather than one.

4/103 Darley Rd Randwick NSW 2031AddRemove

[h=2]Property Summary[/h] Features: 1 bed, 1 bath

[h=2]Property Summary[/h] Price: $430 per Week Property type: Apartment / Unit / Flat Suburb: RANDWICK (profile) Region: Sydney Region

<a id="Content_Content_propertySummary_propertyTools_ContactAgentLinkNoScript" class="btn sml" href="/ore/Public/LightBox/AgentProfileLightBox.aspx?adid=4366250&mode=Rent">Email the agent</a> Email the agent

Ignore this listing

rotating_blu.gifLogin to ignore properties you don't like. If you're not a Fairfax Media member, sign up for free.

Properties will display with a grey shadow to make it easier to skip past and you won't receive

home alert updates for these properties.

Enter your Domain, or Fairfax Media account login and password

Your login attempt was not successful. Please try again.

rotating_blu.gifCancel

43662501pio23093718

[h=3]Other Views[/h]

• 43662502pite23093718
  • 43662503pite23093719
  • 43662504pite23093719

[h=3]Your Notes[/h]Can`t save now, please try again laterAdd/Edit

[h=2]Property Details[/h]

HUGE ART DECO 1 BEDROOM APARTMENT

This beautiful art-deco apartment is situated in a charming character filled boutique block opposite gorgeous Centennial Parklands.

Features include a separate entrance hall, large spacious sized bedroom, full bathroom with tub & eat in kitchen with gas cooking. There is a common shared laundry with coin operated machines provided and a sunny communal garden at the rear of the block. This is a great apartment block & an opportunity not to be missed.

For further details or to arrange an inspection please contact Ilana on 0409 123 777.

Maybe that flat might not be so suitable as it's further away from POW than I thought being, what I would call Centennial Park, rather than Randwick, although nice to be close to the park. 20 minute walk to work, OK during the day, but not so nice if you are doing night shift?

From 103 Darley Rd, Randwick NSW 2031

To Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Barker St, Randwick NSW 2031

data=U4aSnIyhBFNIJ3A8fCzUmaVIwyWq6RtIfB4QKiGq_w,TSroTwgGn9wu1beMsgDoUyqFDc4d4dUPh9VEkIAzBilDJQu-qHiJ5VDlvoRX1USems2lZWEVz6XkHBFJrlNLHrabfSxAxcK7WzHjIox3Rqcs0gqjSRYf_j3SM78Y6RthKpfMLArp2IS7PmRDvHzjh0f6gw,zPONvuSKLJZ8aSmQWxRM3Nz0t_FgmwRICB8Ch9D1GM4WmeJB2DVPP1hngN_FWW3moeS3qC7Syta90msVKpshxmPVCOf9xHsCmxyWNxorkFGh_m71AbBTbgoH-ceJMCUtsQFCegxz2jlWQwGAcYwuSSmHzdBwYNORipUFtO6xM9hLTUG8XKSvuX3CYWyR7CzRXSkltNr0mtLOghGCdd8pwcqOzVwITAS40MYN-DB3wOMzE3uPLJ7ut6zQOJY2ho8E4zbeVu71F5U2XhgdswcCmMwjsoLZc8zQXt4XEeCymiBI8ahWSv8E-cwWYkULSlSbCZefJDuftEg5cKY&h=200&w=557&scale=1

23 min (1.8 km)

via Dangar St

Thank you all SOO much for all of your help and advice!

I def can only come out for one year as my little girls daddy and my extended family would miss her too much, if I loved it there then well I guess that is something I will have to deal with at the time!

Lots more things to research and look at now so thank you so much xxx

Thank you all SOO much for all of your help and advice!

I def can only come out for one year as my little girls daddy and my extended family would miss her too much, if I loved it there then well I guess that is something I will have to deal with at the time!

Lots more things to research and look at now so thank you so much xxx

Although Mary Rose has been able to find some reasonably priced options for you, I'd still strongly recommend you choose a country or regional location, not Sydney. Though those rentals look OK on the website, they are cheap for the Randwick area and that probably means there are unseen snags in real life!

Just done some math..If you were to work 3 days at $40 an hour, 7 hours a day would give you $840 per week. This is not a lot, and if you are looking at $600 a week rent doesn't leave u much for food, bills and childcare. If you go further out say cronulla you could get a 1 bed flat for about $400.

That's true, but that adds an hour commute. The OP is a single mum so she'd need to factor in longer child care (if she leaves the child in Cronulla) or two hours' daily commute with a little one (if she finds child care in Randwick). The OP doesn't have any driving need to stay in Sydney, it's just that she knows someone who used to work there. She could go to any regional centre and pay even less rent than Cronulla without the commute, so that's why I'm suggesting that's a better way for her to go.

Just suggesting cheaper but nice place to live. . Not many people can afford Randwick and I wouldn't want to spend all my money on rent. . Maybe look at working full time and live in Randwick? ?

Like I said, why not just avoid Sydney? It will mean making sacrifices that wouldn't be necessary anywhere else. The OP doesn't have a job waiting in Randwick and isn't particularly attached to it, she'd just heard it was a nice place.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sydney - I think it's the best city in Australia. But now I'm retired, I'm also very conscious of how much more expensive it is than anywhere else.

Archived