Moving to Northern Subs Of Brisbane?

Cheeky Rascal

Hi,

We currently live in Mackay and have done for the last 3 years and we are thinking about relocating.

We'd really like Sunshine coast but heard the job situation there is pretty poor and the commute to Brisbane can take a good couple of hours so now we're expanding our search to The suburbs north of Brisbane.

Anyone already there? which areas are the best for a family of young, school aged children, close to the beaches, good schools, shopping, cafes etc???

Thanks Tina2

I had a quick look at the area, there's not a great deal of information about North Lakes. Properties seem very cheap there. Is it a new new up and coming place, there was mention of a proposed rail link to the city.

I dont live out that way but on that link I gave you there is a forum http://www.northlakes.com.au/forums/from-other-places-in-australia-or-overseas/moving-dec---which-kindy-school-#ufWBWBsGLWKRMf8AAAOpmw you can ask questions also I am sure there will be others on here who can be more help. This gives a bit more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Lakes,_Queensland

There is also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murrumba_Downs,_Queensland again supposed to be a nice area . Brisbane is expanding, both north and south and North Lakes and Murrumba Downs is part of that Northern expansion and only 16km from Brisbane. Mango Hill and Bald Hills are also worth having a look at.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the beach as to live by a decent beach you would have to live a fair commute out of Brisbane, most of the Northern Suburbs mentioned a fair way from the beach.

I live in inner North Brisbane and travel to the beach all the time, be it Bribie, Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast, also living by the city gives you better facilities on your doorstep. For example I went to this olympic pool which is a couple of minutes from my house at the weekend which is great for kids http://newmarket-pool.com.au/ (also went to the Sunny coast)

I would live much closer in and commute to the beach when you fancy it at the weekend, Rather than spend ages every week travelling to the city.

Obviously it depends on your budget though...

Thanks Tina2

I had a quick look at the area, there's not a great deal of information about North Lakes. Properties seem very cheap there. Is it a new new up and coming place, there was mention of a proposed rail link to the city.

NL is huge. Quite densely packed, but very popular. The train line bridge has just been completed over the Brice Highway. Commute time to CBD about a hour, depending heavily on the traffic and any prevailing accidents. Time to Bribie Island, about 30 minutes.

As always, find out about employment before you commit. Why are you moving from Mackay?

Guest Vixenpops

Eatons Hill is awesome good state and independent schools, nice area, 20 mins to redcliffe beach, 40 mins on train to city - about the same to drive - 1 hour to bribe, sunshine coast 1.5 hours to gold coast, good mix of people living in the area

I love it :)

Feel free to PM for other information or opinions on other areas

Thanks Every one :)

Xenon4017. We've been in Mky 3 years now and honestly, I'm dreading the summer. Its hotting up already. Mky was only ever meant to be a starting point for us. We like it here but it's time to move on. We're looking into FIFO for hubby for a while and most fifo flies from Brisbane, it just makes more sense to be down that way.

vixenpops. Thannk you, we'll look into Eaton Hills too :)

Xenon4017. We've been in Mky 3 years now and honestly, I'm dreading the summer. Its hotting up already. Mky was only ever meant to be a starting point for us. We like it here but it's time to move on. We're looking into FIFO for hubby for a while and most fifo flies from Brisbane, it just makes more sense to be down that way.

vixenpops. Thannk you, we'll look into Eaton Hills too :)

Well, yes, I guess the weather is a tad less oppressive down here. But does your husband have a skillset that is in demand for FIFO? In your first post you were concerned about the commute to Brisbane, so you didn't want to live on the SC. Many FIFO worker do live there because they get more for their money, and basically the SC is a great place to live if you've got a steady income.

Either way, the best thing is to make a visit here for a week or so. Driving around a suburb for an hour or so can crystallize your opinion. Suffice to say that there are many suburbs to choose from, each one offering a different mix.

Hi, i currently live in brisbane but commute to the sunshine coast for work. It takes me min 1hr 15mins each way. Brisbane has a lot going on for children and there are some very decent schools. depending on what job your after and where you are going to commute to is a big factor. I often work night shift and i am always stuck in traffic from north lakes into brisbane and this is around 8.30am. when i go to work on a day shift i leave at 5.30am and again there are tail backs from north lakes into the city. it is an upcoming area from what i believe. they have a big shopping mall and costco has not long opened near there. the sunshine coast is also beautiful and i have some friends who live there with children. it is great for outdoor recreation especially water based activities however it is quiet of an evening. there is a lot of development going on with housing projects and there building a new public hospital which will open in 2016 so depending on your occupation you may not have trouble finding work. good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Mcdowell Eatons Hill and Albany Creek are all good suburbs with good State Schools, to my knowledge there is no cafe scene on the north side of Brisbane although there are westfield shopping centres at North Lakes Chermside and Strathpine which are all within 30 mins of the suburbs I mentioned.

Cafe scene on North side of Brisbane - Ascot / Paddington / Rosalie / New Farm / Teneriffe

Yes plus high streets with cafes:

- Kelvin Grove Urban Village

- Ashgrove

- Milton

- Wilston

- Windsor

- Valley/Bowen Hills

- Auchenflower

- Taringa

- Toowong

- Mitchelton

- Albion

- Nundah Village

etc

For example, I live in Ashgrove and am a short walk to 10-15 cafes and 2 pubs with many more a long walk/short cycle away. Mostly the outer suburbs and new build suburbs that have little.

I agree with fish.01 - you will get more in those type of suburbs than in somewhere like EH. I love Albany Creek/Eatons Hill but they don't have much "atmosphere" and the café scene you might be looking for. They do have good schools though and are good family areas.

Yes plus high streets with cafes:

- Kelvin Grove Urban Village

- Ashgrove

- Milton

- Wilston

- Windsor

- Valley/Bowen Hills

- Auchenflower

- Taringa

- Toowong

- Mitchelton

- Albion

- Nundah Village

etc

For example, I live in Ashgrove and am a short walk to 10-15 cafes and 2 pubs with many more a long walk/short cycle away. Mostly the outer suburbs and new build suburbs that have little.

Inner North I can always find a good cafe around.

2 favourites within a few minutes from my house are Artie and Mai in Albion and Little Corner Cafe in Wooloowin. Actually seem to be more restaurants popping up in Albion all the time

Well, yes, I guess the weather is a tad less oppressive down here. But does your husband have a skillset that is in demand for FIFO? In your first post you were concerned about the commute to Brisbane, so you didn't want to live on the SC. Many FIFO worker do live there because they get more for their money, and basically the SC is a great place to live if you've got a steady income.

Either way, the best thing is to make a visit here for a week or so. Driving around a suburb for an hour or so can crystallize your opinion. Suffice to say that there are many suburbs to choose from, each one offering a different mix.

Hi Xenon.

He does have a skill that is required for FIFO but we're not sure how long we want him to do it for yet, he quite often works away atm, though he's not rosta'd. We know with his skill that he could get a job in the CBD but obviously, the money would drop considerably too, so we're trying to cover all basis.

We still want SC but we must remain open minded :)

We'll be down at the end of November for a little holiday and cruise round.

Thanks so much everyone for your input. The mind boggles at the possibilities hahaha

I do find it funny how many poms are obsessed with living near a beach. In the UK you are no more than 75 miles from the sea yet the nearest decent beaches to Brisbane Cbd are about 80 km (bribie island or Gold Coast) or 50 miles, so you are more likely to live nearer to a beach in the UK than in Brisbane. The beaches can be lively but is too bloody hot to go to the beach in summer or you get burned to death so you have to cover up!

We went for the Redcliffe Peninsular and I commute daily. Main thoughts: Good value rentals or purchases (but ideally go for 'east of Oxley' Road strip according to the estate agents and other blogs - (any suburb along that strip as far as I can see seems okay, bit of a different feel in some areas west of Oxley).

Commuting by car on a very good trip for me, 45 mins, sometime 1.25 - 1.5 hours, a really bad day (but not had many lately) - up to 4 hours! A really viable alternative - Trains from Sandgate (approx. 15-20 mins drive first) run well - 40 mins from Sandgate Station to City and run every 15 mins. Trains don't seem crowded and are usually clean etc., and overall a very do-able option (but not to my specific workplace, so I'm back in the car the majority of the time). A train station will open up at Kippa Ring in approx. 2016, so dependent on where you are on Peninsular, may be better than Sandgate Station, or supply a good second alternative.

What we love is having a sand beach (but not good waves - the Islands blocking cause that) on our doorstep - my hubby cycles/walks around 4am onwards, on weekends I enjoy the beach or use our location as a base for the Sunshine/Gold coast trips as suggested by others in previous articles - really do-able. We're pretty used to the lifestyle now, but if we bought again (and were happy to pay more), we would also consider more inner BNE suburbs for weekdays and rather commute on weekends to beach.

Hope this helps.

Archived