Confused!

marynyho

Hi

I have a query but I don't know if it sounds silly..?

I have always rented in the UK, but from a housing association. I have been in my current home for close to 15 years. Reading these posts on the forum, it seems like nothing like this exists in Australia, everything seems to be private and on a 6-12 month lease contract, is this right? I'm coming over in January with my 5 year old and the thought of having to move continuously, like a nomad, is not very appealing. If I could buy I would, but I can't!

Can anyone explain to me how it works? Is anybody out there renting like I will be, or has everyone emigrated with the massive bank account?!

Each state has its own social housing network.I'm guessing you would either have to have PR status or be an aussie citizen to apply ( I could be wrong on this though so don't take it as gospel!)Social housing is in high demand in Australia,as it is in the UK.I know in Adelaide there is a 10+ yr waiting list.It looks to me like you will need to rent privately first,and as soon as you arrive,apply for the social housing.It won't happen overnight,but atleast its a start!This is the link for SA.Google "Social Housing Australia"for other states.Hope this helps!

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/housing-property-and-land/housing/housing-sa-customers/waiting-list/applying-for-public-housing

Hi

I have a query but I don't know if it sounds silly..?

I have always rented in the UK, but from a housing association. I have been in my current home for close to 15 years. Reading these posts on the forum, it seems like nothing like this exists in Australia, everything seems to be private and on a 6-12 month lease contract, is this right? I'm coming over in January with my 5 year old and the thought of having to move continuously, like a nomad, is not very appealing. If I could buy I would, but I can't!

Can anyone explain to me how it works? Is anybody out there renting like I will be, or has everyone emigrated with the massive bank account?!

Hi Mary. They do have public housing here, commonly called Commission Housing. There are normally long waiting lists to get one, so it looks like you may have to rely on a private rental.

Thank you. Do you know if private rentals are on a 6-12 month lease basis?

Each state has its own social housing network.I'm guessing you would either have to have PR status or be an aussie citizen to apply ( I could be wrong on this though so don't take it as gospel!)Social housing is in high demand in Australia,as it is in the UK.I know in Adelaide there is a 10+ yr waiting list.It looks to me like you will need to rent privately first,and as soon as you arrive,apply for the social housing.It won't happen overnight,but atleast its a start!This is the link for SA.Google "Social Housing Australia"for other states.Hope this helps!

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/housing-property-and-land/housing/housing-sa-customers/waiting-list/applying-for-public-housing

Thanks, that's really helpful.

The private leases are normally 6- 12 months but that doesn'tmean you need to move every 6- 12 months. Its much more common here to rent some people rent the same house all their lives. You just renew it, if you like it and they like you.

You will need to afford to rent privately. .I would forget social housing.. Look to see if you can afford private rented housing.. Australia is expensive and if you have no money is horrific place to live. Good luck.

If you turn up to housing as homeless you may be lucky enough to stay in a hostel for a few nights. .I would not advise this with children.

Looking at your location, are you back in the UK? Yeah I have been looking at private rentals but it is true my money is tight and with a 5 year old in tow I am now in two minds!

You will need to afford to rent privately. .I would forget social housing.. Look to see if you can afford private rented housing.. Australia is expensive and if you have no money is horrific place to live. Good luck

Maybe write it all down..Do you qualify for a visa with your profession? That's the first port of call to see if you can even move to oz. . Will the father of the cold give permission for him/her to move? Hague convention. Look at prices of rentals compared to your income..start with the basics. .Yes in back in the UK..York.

Pm'd

Maybe write it all down..Do you qualify for a visa with your profession? That's the first port of call to see if you can even move to oz. . Will the father of the cold give permission for him/her to move? Hague convention. Look at prices of rentals compared to your income..start with the basics. .Yes in back in the UK..York.

Archived