how much money must you take with you to get set up?

Guest the ellis family

Guest the ellis family

we have only just started the process , sent skilled assesment.... read somewhere when arriving in australia you must have 20 thousand dollars minumum in your account is this true?

:daydreaming:is there a set amount you must have in your account before leaving for proof of being able to support yourself and family?

and is it woth opening up a bank account over there now, if so which bank would you recommend?

Guest traybears

hi,i've heard its best if you bring enough to live on for 3 months.sure someone will correct me if im wrong.good luck.tracy.xx.

Guest traybears

hi,me again,i forgot with reguards to opening up a bank account we did our on-line with westpac.very easy.i think you can do it on-line with most of their banks.again someone will correct me if im wrong,tracy.xx.

Guest Curlysoo

Hmmm £20k, I am sure it is a good idea to take as much as possible with you, but I dont think there are actual figures for the amount you MUST have, unless I am mistaken?

Many people on here, PIO seem to have gone over with a lot less than that and OK things havnt been as easy for them, but they have still managed to get set up and settled.

hi,i've heard its best if you bring enough to live on for 3 months.sure someone will correct me if im wrong.good luck.tracy.xx.

It depends on your employment and household circumstances ie are you going straight in a job and housing. The set up costs are a bit dear transport used cars expensive. It all depends on individual circumstances but personally you need a few bob as it goes through your fingers like water initially

Malx

Guest mandisfam

Hi, I thought it depended on what type of visa you got. Certain visa's do require you to have a minimum of $20,000 to support yourselves. Sorry can't remember which visa this is, but I remember the WA representatives at the Leeds Expo saying this, none of the other states said so again maybe it depends on which area you are going to.

All the best

Mandisfam

i'm sure if you have a visa that enables you to work then you don't need any savings a credit card will do you just have to prove you can support yourself.

But like you said money in the first few weeks would be eaten up fast especially if you buy a car and pay 6 months rent in advance to get the property you want all depends how quick you can get work

Guest EvieB

Hi, I don't think there is any requirement to have a particular sum of money if you are going on a skills visa. Don't open a bank account until you know you are going though, although you can put money in, you can't take it out again until you get there!

Archived