Family Therapists??

mdonna1975

Hi guys

Thanks for reading :-)

So my partner and I are in the beginning phases of looking into living in Oz.

I have the offer of a job and my profession is in the skills list.

My partner is a Family and Systemic Psychotherapist (not on the skills list)

His core profession is a social worker - but he has not actually worked in a social work role, he worked as a mental health practitioner (generic role, NHS) and then trained up as a family therapist.

We are wondering about how getting a visa will work for him?

Anyone been in a similar position?

Any family therapists that have moved to Oz?

many thanks for any advice or guidance

Donna

"Therapists" who aren't psychologists or social workers (who are able to register with AASW) are going to struggle TBH. Aus is very particular about it's Allied Health Professionals (see AHPRA for registration requirements) because they attract Medicare funding. Others with certs or diplomas don't. There's not a huge call for Family Therapists really - most government organizations will require registerable psychs/social workers and the NFP sector is tending towards psychs ans SWs if they can, even if they aren't registered.

Hi mdonna1975,

is he a qualified psychotherapist?

Hi there

Yes. He is a qualified Systemic Psychotherapist (MSc Level) and having looked a bit more into it, I'm wondering if it's possible for him to apply under the Psychotherapists section on the skills list.

Cheers

Donna

Hi guys

Thanks for reading :-)

So my partner and I are in the beginning phases of looking into living in Oz.

I have the offer of a job and my profession is in the skills list.

My partner is a Family and Systemic Psychotherapist (not on the skills list)

His core profession is a social worker - but he has not actually worked in a social work role, he worked as a mental health practitioner (generic role, NHS) and then trained up as a family therapist.

We are wondering about how getting a visa will work for him?

Anyone been in a similar position?

Any family therapists that have moved to Oz?

many thanks for any advice or guidance

Donna

Is he your partner or not? i.e. Are you a defacto couple? If yes, then he just goes on your visa.

My point - speaking from a psychotherapeutic professionals perspective - is the fact that there ARE jobs for psychotherapists in Australia. And that Psychotherapist IS on either the SOL or CSOL.

However, if you have a job offer and your occupation is on the list, I'd say go for it - and good luck! Bearing in mind the limited info I myself have about gathered about moving to Australia(!) I agree with NickyNook and Pumpkin.

Archived