457 advice for others, help for me!

HHJ

Hey Team,

I've found this site pretty informative, so thought I'd give it a go :)

Here's the situation, along with what I have found out...

I am on a 457 VISA since last May, but was forced out of my job due to the boss being a (insert expletive here)

Basically, he told me that the minimum thresh-hold salary ($52,500) was too much, so I had to pay him cash back every week. No paper so I cant prove this, but my girlfriend and others also had to do the same (others still do)

My girlfriend and I left because of this, but have been finding it near impossible to find another sponsor. You get 90 days to find a new sponsor, having spoken to immigration, they have told me that the 90 days is not strict- meaning that if you find another employer after, say, 100 days they will let you off more often than not. You also do not have to leave the country on day 90, but should have some plans to do so.

Also learnt that it seems the employer has to pay for your flights home, but only to where you have a passport.

I am a dive instructor, and my girlfriend is a customer service manager, so we have to find jobs in that role. I have contacted just about every dive centre in Australia, and cant find anyone who is willing to take this over. My girlfriend has more of a broad job title but it is still proving fruitless.

Anyone got any advice on where to go next for us? For example any customer service manager jobs that do 457s? Any other VISA options?

Thanks

H

Hey Team,

I've found this site pretty informative, so thought I'd give it a go :)

Here's the situation, along with what I have found out...

I am on a 457 VISA since last May, but was forced out of my job due to the boss being a (insert expletive here)

Basically, he told me that the minimum thresh-hold salary ($52,500) was too much, so I had to pay him cash back every week. No paper so I cant prove this, but my girlfriend and others also had to do the same (others still do)

My girlfriend and I left because of this, but have been finding it near impossible to find another sponsor. You get 90 days to find a new sponsor, having spoken to immigration, they have told me that the 90 days is not strict- meaning that if you find another employer after, say, 100 days they will let you off more often than not. You also do not have to leave the country on day 90, but should have some plans to do so.

Also learnt that it seems the employer has to pay for your flights home, but only to where you have a passport.

I am a dive instructor, and my girlfriend is a customer service manager, so we have to find jobs in that role. I have contacted just about every dive centre in Australia, and cant find anyone who is willing to take this over. My girlfriend has more of a broad job title but it is still proving fruitless.

Anyone got any advice on where to go next for us? For example any customer service manager jobs that do 457s? Any other VISA options?

Thanks

H

If you have been given a date to leave, make sure you do, don't assume you can have another ten days or whatever, it won't help in the future.

But I think you might need to take a reality check, unemployment is quite high and rising, jobs are going to citizens and permanent residents first and rightly so. I think you should be realistic and start thinking about arrangements to leave or where else you could go.

Amd yes, I also think you should report the employer.

Also, when they say they are flexible with the time, it has to look like you have a potential new employer on the cards. You can't just keep looking for work indefinitely. If you go in and say 'I've had an interview, I'm waiting to hear back' etc, THAT is when they are flexible.

I am a dive instructor, and my girlfriend is a customer service manager, so we have to find jobs in that role.

My main advice would be that you can be eligible for any occupation as long as it appears on the CSOL and you meet the minimum skill level for it, no point limiting yourself unless you both have a very narrow skillsets/qualifications that only relate to those two specific occupations.

Archived