Buying a Used Car

weaseltron

Howdy all

I am looking at buying a new car in the very near future, turns out this is another slightly confusing Sydney thing - perhaps you can help!

So, I am just looking for a little hatchback to get about the city, spending a maximum of about $10k

I am correct in saying the following charges would apply on top of the, say $10k:

1. Stamp Duty - 3% of the value of the car

2. Registration transfer - something like $30

3. REV/car history check - optional but around $25

4. Motor vehicle tax - approx $100 - $200 (based on weight of vehicle??)

5. Insurance - depends on provider and vehicle obviously but probably somewhere around $60 - $80 p/m

Is there anything I've missed?

Also, are there any dealers anybody can recommend around Sydney, preferrably the Inner West/Parramatta region, I guess buying from a licensed dealer is the best way to go but I would be interested to hear any recommendations.

Thanks in advance

A

Hi,

We recently bought a car ( 6months ago) from a Toyota dealer in Parramatta. I would say that it's a most popular region for car sale companies - there are so many of them there...

The costs you mentioned look okay, the only thing is that the car history check is usually done by the dealer and you can check it when buying. I am not sure about the motor vehicle tax, I can't remember paying anything like that?

And if you want a comprehensive car insurance and you don't have a history of driving in Aus without a collision - you might have to pay a bit more, we pay 150$ per month, but our car is/was worth around 20k.

Have you considered paying extra 6-8k and getting a car with still a bit of warranty?

Also, remember to get the e-toll thing - you can get it either at RMA when registering a car or order online (you will have to wait 1-2 weeks for it, but you can start driving on the highways just after you registered).

I don't remember stamp duty, but it has been a while since I bought a car.

Road tax is more than $100 and you also need CTP insurance as well as your comprehensive insurance.

To the post above, lived here for four years and I have not got an "etoll" thing and have no problems driving on highways? So not sure what that is about?

Right, I forgot bout the CTP as I haven't bought it yet myself.

The etoll thing is that tag that beeps when you go on toll roads?

But you don't have to get one, we must have been on toll roads I don't know probably less than ten times in four years and we have done quite a few road trips. We don't tend to drive into Sydney though, so I guess that makes a difference.

So how do you pay for toll roads? There are no cash booths anymore and the only way to pay is through the e-toll tag or pass. I think you need one if you live in Sydney, as you need to pay toll on quite a few roads and tunnels. Also, you can claim back what you paid for traveling on M5.

So how do you pay for toll roads? There are no cash booths anymore and the only way to pay is through the e-toll tag or pass. I think you need one if you live in Sydney, as you need to pay toll on quite a few roads and tunnels. Also, you can claim back what you paid for traveling on M5.

In Qld there is a tel number or web site where you can pay as a casual user, say like a tourist, assume there would be similar in other states.

I do live in Sydney, have done for four years and I rarely need to use tolls, as I said. If we do use a toll road, we just pay as you go, like a tourist would. Anyway, I am sure there is no downside to having the pass, but your first post made it sound like it is essential.

I do live in Sydney, have done for four years and I rarely need to use tolls, as I said. If we do use a toll road, we just pay as you go, like a tourist would. Anyway, I am sure there is no downside to having the pass, but your first post made it sound like it is essential.

I guess it's not essential, but makes life a lot easier. I can't imagine driving and at the same time looking for these signs for the number to call and than talking on the phone at the same time... Also, can you get back what you paid for M5 if you don't use an e-tag?

In Qld there is a tel number or web site where you can pay as a casual user, say like a tourist, assume there would be similar in other states.

There is a special pass for tourists in NSW that you can buy for a week or so. I would imagine it would be hard for tourists to call each time they go through toll considering that they probably don't have local phones...

There is a special pass for tourists in NSW that you can buy for a week or so. I would imagine it would be hard for tourists to call each time they go through toll considering that they probably don't have local phones...

It's not every time you pass, in Qld you log in a credit/debit card for a self determined period, so if you are on holiday for 4 weeks you put in dates to match, and you can do this upto 3 days after your first toll giving you time to avoid extra charges for late payment.

My eTag though issued in Qld is useable in all states, not sure if the telephone/online one does.

When we were visiting Brisbane our hire car had it already on there. We lodged a deposit with the car hire company. It went off quite a few times but haven't looked at the bill yet to see how much it cost us overall.

I guess it's not essential, but makes life a lot easier. I can't imagine driving and at the same time looking for these signs for the number to call and than talking on the phone at the same time... Also, can you get back what you paid for M5 if you don't use an e-tag?

You are just making this out to be a lot harder than it is.. it is easy to pay on a one off basis and you don't have to do it right there and then as you are driving through! Don't understand your question on the M5.

You are just making this out to be a lot harder than it is.. it is easy to pay on a one off basis and you don't have to do it right there and then as you are driving through! Don't understand your question on the M5.

It is also very easy to just put the tag on your windshield (it's free) and you don't have to think about it at all:) I tried calling ones and the first question they ask is which road you used. It was my first week in Sydney and I had no idea where that was - I was just following the navi...

For M5 you can claim back whatever you paid if you are resident in NSW and own a private car. We go quite frequently south (like Wollongnong or National Park), so it's really great for us.

Random question Pumpkin - are you Rupert? Or her other half? I find your replies, while sometimes helpful, have the same 'tone'...

Archived