How to go from 457 VISA to PR

Andy Smith

Hi all, brand new here.

I was just wondering what the options and process is to go from a 457 Temporary work visa, to permanent residency.

As far as I'm aware, I need to work for the company for 2 years before I can apply, then the company can sponsor me through the PR. Does that mean my PR is only valid if I continue working for said company?

I guess I want to know, what I need to do, how much it will cost and what happens after it's granted?

Cheers,

Andy

Hi all, brand new here.

I was just wondering what the options and process is to go from a 457 Temporary work visa, to permanent residency.

As far as I'm aware, I need to work for the company for 2 years before I can apply, then the company can sponsor me through the PR. Does that mean my PR is only valid if I continue working for said company?

I guess I want to know, what I need to do, how much it will cost and what happens after it's granted?

Cheers,

Andy

To get PR you have to qualify and apply for a permanent visa. No you do not have to work for your employer for two years, some people get a permanent visa without ever having set for in Australia.

examples of permanent visas are the 189, 190, 186 or 187.

The 2 year thingy is to do with the requirement for a skills assessment. If you have worked for your employer on a 457 for 2 years then you don't need to have a skills assessment done when applying for PR.

I went from 457 to 186 employer sponsored PR. No skills assessment; I'd been here on 457 for 4 years.

If you can get through a skills assessment then there's options for applying for one of the PR visas straight away. No need to wait.

If your employer is willing to sponsor you, you can apply for a 186 visa. If you wait until you've been with them for 2 years in the same position, then you apply under the Temporary Resident Transition stream and don't need a skills assessment. If you don't wait for 2 years, you'd need to apply under the Direct Entry Stream which requires a skills assessment and 3 years experience. Once you get the PR visa, you can work for any employer (if you leave the sponsoring employer too quickly, they may complain to DIBP you've used them for a visa but unknown if/how often DIBP would cancel a PR visa).

If if you don't want to rely on your employer (or they don't want to sponsor PR), you can apply for an independent visa such as a 189 or 190.

Archived